E280cdi fuel leak

ken last

Reaction score
My 2006 E280cdi has just suffered a major diesel leak at the front of the engine. Spilled fuel disabled the power steering. Fortunately I was travelling slowly but otherwise there could have been serious consequences. Is this a common occurrence? Are Mercedes aware of the problem?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Have you had the fuel filter replaced, last time i see that the pipe had a spilt in it where the clips had removed with pilers!

OP
K

ken last

Reaction score
Have you had the fuel filter replaced, last time i see that the pipe had a spilt in it where the clips had removed with pilers!

Thanks Sam, Car was last serviced by Mercedes dealer Sept 08. Fuel filter not mentioned specifically on invoice but "combination filter" was replaced. Is that the same?
Dealer has now confirmed that the leak occurred due to a pin hole in the fuel return pipe - must have been some hole or very high pressure! Is that the pipe which you have seen damaged before?

They seem to have cleaned the spilled fuel carefully but I do wonder if there may be long term damage to wiring and other items. The drive belt has been replaced as it was deemed unrecoverable.

Thanks again,

Ken

OP
K

ken last

Reaction score
Never heard of one springing a leak. Very rare I'd say. What bit leaked?

Thanks for your response and reassurance. The dealer now tells me that it was the fuel return pipe which had failed, it looked damage to me. I also had a response from Sam to whom I have responded in more detail as his past experience may have hit the nail on the head!

Glad to hear that such breakdowns are unusual, don't want to worry every time we set out on a journey, fortunately this time it failed on our drive, apart from the damage to the tarmac how lucky can I get!

Thanks,

Ken

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
Had one in just last week doing the same thing.Expensive job for a small peice of leak off pipe.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its where they remove the fuel return pipe of the filter with grips, it pinches the hose!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom