E300 Hybrid Fuel Economy Issues

David hallam

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid E class
E300 Hybrid

I have a E300 and have owned it since the 3rd March total of 46 days so far its been in the garage for 16 days with problems. Its now Easter and been told by Mercedes Harrogate they have ordered some more parts and will give me a update on Tuesday.

The problems seem to be Electrical with warning lights coming on all the time but I am only getting around 43 to gallon the mileage is only 1800 or it was last time I saw the vehicle

Not good for a £42k vehicle

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I have a E300 and have owned it since the 3rd March total of 46 days so far its been in the garage for 16 days with problems. Its now Easter and been told by Mercedes Harrogate they have ordered some more parts and will give me a update on Tuesday.

The problems seem to be Electrical with warning lights coming on all the time but I am only getting around 43 to gallon the mileage is only 1800 or it was last time I saw the vehicle

Thanks for dropping in, and sorry to hear these woes - you got a raw deal with a brand new car, so you are already down on the deal, even if it is fixed now.
The MPG issue is interesting, so please do keep us up to date on that.

It would be nice for the OP to drop back in with an update too, although benthebookie has had some stick in this thread! Might have cut his losses.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

sorry to hear that David- must say after 7 months/c6k I have experienced 0 problems at all. Your history is totally unacceptable - you may still have the option to give it back - this is not normal- maybe some of the other members can advise where you sit legally?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
summers on now, let's see what that achieves!

recently did Wirral to Harrogate on the summers and up to 62.8MPG.
You have to modify your right foot habits to get those returns though, and since I was in a hurry on the way back dropped to c56- still happy with that though!

psenior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid and A45 AMG
I have been running the Summer tyres for almost one month now and they are giving worse performance than the winter ones. Best to date on summer tyres is 62.8mpg, whereas I got 68.9mpg on the winters. My summer tyres are 18" ContiSport 3s, whereas the winters are 17" ContiWinters. I don't think the radius change is an issue, I think the rolling resistance on the ContiWinters is better. Next time I change the summers I will be looking for a low rolling resistance option, but that won't be for another 7-10k miles.

P.

drdel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 e class 350 cdi est
Perhaps you could get the RAC or AA to run and independent test.

If you have a car tuning company nearby who has a rolling road you could also ask them to do a fuel consumption test on the 250 and 300 and see what difference there is.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Perhaps you could get the RAC or AA to run and independent test.

If you have a car tuning company nearby who has a rolling road you could also ask them to do a fuel consumption test on the 250 and 300 and see what difference there is.

any updates from the OP on this please?
Just passed 1 year on mine/9500 miles, car hasn't missed a beat, my daily average is c56mpg and longer runs over 63....

Legfitter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 AMG Sport Estate
OP...did you ever get anywhere with this? I have a new E300 Hybrid Estate and I'm seeing similar figures to yours!? Just wondered if you found a solution??

simonrip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E300 Hybrid
any updates from the OP on this please?
Just passed 1 year on mine/9500 miles, car hasn't missed a beat, my daily average is c56mpg and longer runs over 63....

John, are you really averaging 56mpg? That is very impressive, and makes me look rather lead footed. Even when driving as gently as I dare, and setting the cruise at 65mph on the motorway, I have never averaged over 50mpg.

Simon

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Simon, well since then I have dropped a lot to c45 mpg, I still have the winters on though. My daily drive is a mixture of town, bit of motorway, then town. On the motorway I will be c75mph, town I am sticking to the limits. There is little in the way of hills on the wirral so any benefit of sailing in neutralised.
I will be going down Norfolk way later this month and a bit undecided whether to change the winters out for the summers again or not, but it will be interesting anyway to see what I get then. Previous trips have seen me average c62mpg there.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Only just catching up on this post but I received my car new in July last year and did manage to get just over 50mpg.
I now have winter tyres/wheels on and I average around 43/45mpg but I really do not try too hard to be economical, every so often I cannot resist the urge to boot it and feel the car surge away.
I am off to France in the summer so it will be interesting to see what I can get on their wonderful auto routes.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I am similar, not just the winter tyres but also the fact I reckon I am less careful now than last year means I am losing economy. Like you, I can't resist the 'S' button occasionally......

Meatius

Reaction score
I have the same issue, took delivery of a used E300 hybrid last week of August with 400 miles on the clock after reading about the higher mpg, it now has almost 49k on the clock so needing to run the engine in is a bull**** excuse. As a chauffeur that drives from Wolverhampton to Heathrow every day I needed to start saving on fuel costs my mpg is rarely above 43 cruising on the motorway coasting whenever possible to get the car to drop into hybrid mode but as soon as you touch the gas to give it a little power to keep the speed up the mpg drops. The whole hybrid system is useless sat in traffic and not as advertised, yes mpg is based on getting a pro driver to drive around a track efficiently but real world mpg should not be 30 mpg less than stated in the manual. I've had a rental Vauxhall Insignia now for three weeks while having bodywork repaired after someone hit me and the mpg is far better on this piece of crap car not at all good Mercedes miss my E350 which was a far nicer ride with the same mpg

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Meanwhile our 2002 C220 CDI loan car, with 180,000 miles, can show just over 70mpg on a super saver run, and close to 60mpg at typical motorway cruising speeds.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have the same issue, took delivery of a used E300 hybrid last week of August with 400 miles on the clock after reading about the higher mpg, it now has almost 49k on the clock so needing to run the engine in is a bull**** excuse. As a chauffeur that drives from Wolverhampton to Heathrow every day I needed to start saving on fuel costs my mpg is rarely above 43 cruising on the motorway coasting whenever possible to get the car to drop into hybrid mode but as soon as you touch the gas to give it a little power to keep the speed up the mpg drops. The whole hybrid system is useless sat in traffic and not as advertised, yes mpg is based on getting a pro driver to drive around a track efficiently but real world mpg should not be 30 mpg less than stated in the manual. I've had a rental Vauxhall Insignia now for three weeks while having bodywork repaired after someone hit me and the mpg is far better on this piece of crap car not at all good Mercedes miss my E350 which was a far nicer ride with the same mpg

Blimey no wonder your miffed my very old tech 320cdi will do that .

msant1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 2014
Saill and start/stop

if the comparison helps, I have managed 46.3 average in mine now, after 4500 miles. I also took delivery September 2013. Depends on the model and wheel-size too- I have the AMG Sport Saloon, 18 inch wheels currently with winters on.
Due presumably to the temperature at this time of year in the morning it doesn't start on electric motor first thing in the morning now ,whereas in September last year it did, so there's another variable. One thing I don't seem to be able to get the hang off is their claim to so called 'sail' the car when using the right flappy paddle when cruising, so what I'm saying is that I am not probably getting the best out of the economy and I didn't choose the model which likely matched the alleged MPG figure.
All that said, the car is beautiful to drive and stunning to look at - I can cope with the MPG and being a company car with low emissions of 110 g/cm it costs little in BIK tax so good news! I can sympathise with your situation however if privately run!

Hi

Does your car do the start/stop in a regular way? Mine don't.

Also MPG for my car is about 40mpg.. using a relaxed driving.. on highway is something worst..

thanks

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
yip, does the stop/start regularly, unless it's a very cold day and it's just started up.....doesn't sound at all like yours is operating in ECO/Hybrid mode at all!

msant1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 2014
start stop

yip, does the stop/start regularly, unless it's a very cold day and it's just started up.....doesn't sound at all like yours is operating in ECO/Hybrid mode at all!

Yeap.. the behaviour seems similar to S mode.. but the transmission works like E mode.. without the hybrid mode operation... sail/start/stop..

It seems is time for a diagnostic on MB

thanks!

Miguel

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
OK, here's interesting. Winters off and summers back on. Warmer temperatures so the car has set off the drive in electric mode until the end of my road- electric kicking in better again at this time of year.
Only 2 days to compare, identical daily journeys , traffic, etc and my average has gone back up to 53.5 MPG after the reset.
Not hugely scientific in all honesty, but there is a marked difference!
On the negative side NOT enjoying the P Zeros back on, the ride has gone a bit crashyand the steering etc are not as smooth at all compared to the Wintracs!
I will check the pressures tomorrow to see what ATS have done to me:-|

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom