E320 CDI Owning newbie

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
Hi all,

This is my first Merc; I've owned this car for 6 years and enjoy the comfort, load capacity, (it's a wagon), and economy. Bodywork looks OK when it's clean but the wheels could do with a refurb. It's been mainly trouble free apart from some probs with the rear air suspension which needed one airbag and compressor replacing a couple of years ago. That's still not quite right but I'll post that in the appropriate forum.

It's had a vibration on light acceleration for a while, so I recently replaced the engine mounts which hasn't made the miraculous improvement I'd hoped for. I'm now suspecting the trans and will be doing an atf flush and filter some time soon.

I used to do car stuff years ago but got out of the habit when I had company cars, but quite enjoy starting to get my hands dirty again.

Despite being increasingly persona non-grata due to Knee jerk reactions by the powers that be, I think I'll keep it as long as it's not costing me too much to maintain and it's still reliable.

Best wishes

Peter - in Warwickshire

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome buddy :D . I've had a facelift E320cdi and still love it after 8 years

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

The problem with your trans is possibly down to the valeo radiator leaking coolant into the trans fluid which affects the torque converter causing vibration on light load. I would do a glycol check on the coolant before doing anything else. If that is the problem a new rad and trans fluid will hopefully solve the problem this is a known issue on early 211 cars unfortunately look up valeo radiator problem on 211s and all will be revealed

theoddbod

Reaction score
Website
www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E-Class 320 CDi Avantgarde
Have you got your car sorted yet buddy ?
Almost! - seller gave me a bit of a run around - trying to put me off - told them I will return car for full refund - low and behold he has now booked it in which the local Indi Merc garage for repair at his cost!

Darran

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome!

The problem with your trans is possibly down to the valeo radiator leaking coolant into the trans fluid which affects the torque converter causing vibration on light load. I would do a glycol check on the coolant before doing anything else. If that is the problem a new rad and trans fluid will hopefully solve the problem this is a known issue on early 211 cars unfortunately look up valeo radiator problem on 211s and all will be revealed

Thanks; I'm aware of the Valeo problem so will bear it in mind. This was originally delivered 01/2004 so I suppose it could have a tail end Valeo rad. If it was affected, wouldn't you see contamination in the header tank? Coolant reasonably clear and a blue /green colour

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thanks; I'm aware of the Valeo problem so will bear it in mind. This was originally delivered 01/2004 so I suppose it could have a tail end Valeo rad. If it was affected, wouldn't you see contamination in the header tank? Coolant reasonably clear and a blue /green colour

The only way to check is a glycol test as far as I know the leak was biast more to coolant seeping into the trans oil than the other way round. Does sound as though you have early TC problems through contamination hope I’m wrong

spenttherent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Eclass estate 2008

Reading this bulletin, if your car has the valeo radiator then it should be the modified one and be ok

valeo-rad 1.jpg valeo-rad 2.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Hello and welcome! No reason why you can't keep these running if you are reasonable with DIY and just stay on top of the niggles as they arise. Hope you continue to enjoy the car for many more years!

OP
P

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, did the filter and flush today. Went pretty well for a first time. Bought the filter set from KMS (Vaico) which included filter, gasket and connector plug adapter, which was lucky as the old one was leaking. Fluid came from Smith & Allan; MB spec 236.14, £88.50 for 20l delivered, so I've got enough spare should I feel the need to drop the pan again. First impression was good. The vibration was definitely reduced. I'll leave the covers off for a couple of days to make sure nothing leaks.
I reckon the filter was the original as it was genuine Merc, date marked 03. So, 12p shy of £110 in total.... feeling chuffed

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I had a 2006 CLK270CDI with a Valeo radiator, fortunately never failed. As I remember if they failed, they used to fail fairly early on.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom