E320 DCi 211 another gearbox prob!! ARRRRGHH

beanmasteruk

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi All I'm new on here and hopefully gonna get some decent answers!! Something Mercedes seem unable to do...

Have an 2003 211 E320DCi Auto. The car has had the rad change!! Problem is when I pull away in S mode it kinda jumps hard into second gear. all other gears are fine. When I use W mode it doesn't do it at all!!

This week I have spent ££££'s on the following; New internal speed sensor fitted to g/box, new oil, )Mercedes call it a repairing oil) new filter. Then the car was subject to a lenghty "adaptation" test drive. This I'm told took an hour with the computer plugged in to allow the box to be re-adapted. Then another adaptation was done for the torque converter, another hours labour.
I collect the car, drive 1 mile and still have the same problem. The Mercedes guy told me that these models had issues with the rad and gearbox oil cooling system, mine has had the new rad. They tell me that the "repairing oil" is nesc in case torque conv is contaminated. They now say that I should drive the car for several hundred miles for it to "re learn" it's values. Another suggestion was it could have a solinoid faulty in the gearbox. I'm reluctant to drive for "several hundered miles" in case it goes bang, but Merc assure me it won't and this process might remove the snatchy change into second.

Are these guys talking sense? Any one elsle had these issues?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Basically what they have done is filled the gearbox with cheap oil to flush out the contamination from the glycol leaking into the gearbox.. then when they are happy the gearbox is operating correctlly they wil drain and refill with proper expensive oil..
It doesnt take and hour to rest the gearbox on a star machine, less than five minutes.. but they are basically gonna charge you for an hours time ..

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Basically what they have done is filled the gearbox with cheap oil to flush out the contamination from the glycol leaking into the gearbox.. then when they are happy the gearbox is operating correctlly they wil drain and refill with proper expensive oil..
It doesnt take and hour to rest the gearbox on a star machine, less than five minutes.. but they are basically gonna charge you for an hours time ..

Agreed, as X/F said!!!

We are seing a lot of this now!!

type49

Reaction score

MB do have a "repair oil" which they recommend stays in the box once filled. Also there is a programme which you can fully adapt the box via star on road test, however, the criteria you have to follow is a right pain & can take ages to meet & may well take an hour:shock:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom