E320 longevity, quality, buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reto

New Registration
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 1996 or later E320. How many miles can you expect to get out of one of these before the serious repairs start?

Which year would you buy? Do you recommend another model, perhaps a C class, or perhaps an earlier E series?

ant500sl

Reaction score
Hi

My Dad has had one of these from new £48k in January 1996, 12k worth of options! Many options i.e. 5 speed auto and air con became standard in later years. Early model had M104 straight 6 which has been around since circa. 1989 later models have v6. Apart from the normal head gasket problem which on most cars would have been rectified by now the car has had a new battery and an alarm system. MB had to replace the alarm with some crappy UK Thatcham approved item for insurance purposes I am led to believe. Many good ones about and they are relatively cheap as people are a little scared of the bigger engines. The Old Man was offered 6k part ex against a new E240. Having told the dealer where to stick his offer ( one owner 70k mille car) we have decided it will do for another 7 years or maybe 150k miles or so. As my car's have from 120k to 300k on their clocks I may be slightly biased in this respect.

Good luck

mjtray

Reaction score
Hmmm......the 320 engine in the W124 E class was launched in 1993 and is a straight six. The replacement E was then fitted with V6 engines, albeit with the same capacity, ie 320.

The straight 6 320 M104 engine continued to get used in the previous shape S class until the new model came out and then they started fitting V6's.

The m104 engine, ie straight 6 can really take the mileage, although its likely that the head gasket will blow at @ 110k miles and will cost @ £800-1000 to replace.

Many American owners claim to have covered in excess of 300k miles with these engines and their cars are still going strong.

It all boils down to service history, condition etc etc.

Personally, having owned both C classes and E class W124's, I think that the W124's offer more comfort and are better built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom