E320 Steering Arms

moonrabbit

Reaction score
Hi, can anybody advise me, my Mercedes Estate has or needs new steering arms, steering was squeaky (like rubbery squeaky but at the same time the wheel when turned 'grated' when stationary.

Does anybody know how much these steering arms are or wether it could be something else. How long do they take to fit by a mechanic?

Thank you

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Assuming your car is a W124: the normal groaning squeaking noise from the front end over speed bumps and when steering at low speeds is caused by worn balljoints. These normally need replacing somewhere between 100 and 200k

They cost about £13 each from a dealer and take an hour or so to fit. On some models they're part of the lower wishbone and will cost more

While the car's up in the air I'd check the front springs to make sure they haven't snapped - though that'll be pretty obvious if replacing balljoints - and I'd replace the front antiroll bar bushes at the same time

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
M

moonrabbit

Reaction score
Hi the car is a Mercedes E320 estate (H reg). It is in the garage, has been for a week and I've been told it needs new steering arms. Been quoted 250 for one or £135 for one and apparently I need two. Any advice?

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Why has it been there for a week? Do they know what they are doing? What exactly are they replacing?

If you're not confident in their diagnosis I'd take it somewhere else

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom