E350 CDi Ticking transmission

WNX700H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi Estate
2010 Nov E350 CDi Estate 30 k miles

Noise is generated when you put vehicle in drive or reverse and with out throttle let the car move , a ticking noise can be heard from the transmission. When you switch the engine off after a few seconds you can hear the same ticking noise decreasing in its frequency ( occurence not pitch ) as what ever is making the noise slows down to standstill .... engine is already stopped by this time.

My logic is it has to be in the transmission as to generate the noise with engine running the car has to move . Ticking noise is not evident once car has any discernable speed. Only evident dynamically when car is allowed to creep forward or reverse

Dealer has been useless in trying to fix this , bought on Mercedes approved used in August last year.

So what is making the noise

Last edited:

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
Hi
I don't know if parking cable on E class is installed same way as C class
But on C class clips holding the cable break and cable touch promshaft and making that ticking noise I hope this may help

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I can't think of anything in the transmission unit itself which would still be rotating after the engine (i.e. crankshaft) has come to a halt.

What frequency is the ticking when it is happening?

OP
W

WNX700H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi Estate
description is in first note but ticking noise is related to vehicle speed when car is moving .... so put vehicle in drive let it creep so negligible speed and you get a tick noise every second or so which increases in frequency as car increases in speed once above creep speed noise is in audible

when you switch ignition off wait a few seconds and then ticking nosie can be heard with decresing frequncy until what ever is making the noise stop. not a fan and can be heard from back of engine / bell housing area

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
description is in first note but ticking noise is related to vehicle speed when car is moving .... so put vehicle in drive let it creep so negligible speed and you get a tick noise every second or so which increases in frequency as car increases in speed once above creep speed noise is in audible

when you switch ignition off wait a few seconds and then ticking nosie can be heard with decresing frequncy until what ever is making the noise stop. not a fan and can be heard from back of engine / bell housing area

We have the same vehicle with the same symptoms (exactly the same). Rotating the propshaft without the engine running will also make the noise.
The noise seems to be coming from inside the torque converter, as checked with a stethoscope.
We know no more at this stage, and will be very interested to hear what fault is found with this one.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Many moons ago i had a car with similar symptoms the torque converter stator had a faulty needle bearing, but it was many many moons ago.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just bumping this to see if any others have any ideas?

Seems to me, it has to be a TC issue...

OP
W

WNX700H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi Estate
Ticking transmission noise

Mercedes Benz Exeter now agree with my diagnosis of the torque converter causing the noise. There is a service bulletin covering this phenomenon and caused by pendulum weights in torque converter. Bulletin advises fit meant of rubber bung in bell housing hole to suppress noise but in cases of escalation then new torque converter to be fitted

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks very much for the update, and please do continue to keep us up to date on this one.

Steve-c

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212
Hi. I was just wondering if you managed to solve the issues as my car seems to be making exactly the same noise.

Top Bottom