ECO STOP-START ISSUE

Herman C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 MB E Class (W212)
Hi all. On cold start when turning on the ignition the stop-start amber ECO light fires up as expected and the light is green on the override dashboard button. The moment you start the car the amber ECO light disappears and the green light on the override button is dead and the stop-start function is not working. After restarting the engine everything works fine. Anyone else had this issue before? I recently replaced the auxiliary battery.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
His car fixed itself .

We are lead to believe a whole bunch of stuff from car manufacturers and the gubberment but they are getting caught out all the time .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome , it's likely too cold for all that stuff to be working

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Read the manual.....

The stop start will likely disable within the 15mins of driving and is temperature dependent also depending on what consumers are switched on as well.

Or your battery is starting to loose its hold and crank capacity.

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
mine did that before christmas i replaced the main battery between christmas and new year and its been fine ever since.

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
Certain conditions need to be met for the stop start to work , temperature is one of them conditions. They all the same mine doesn’t work the same at min either

OP
H

Herman C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 MB E Class (W212)
Good day all. Thank you for all your feedback. Maybe I did not make myself clear enough. When turning on the ignition first time in morning whilst engine is cold, all appears to be normal (amber ECO light is on (dashboard) and green light is on (on-off switch). Then when starting the car first time in the morning (cold start), the amber ECO light disappears and the green light on on-off switch is “dead” and when you press the switch nothing happens. The only way to get the stop-start system back is by switching off the engine and restarting the car. During the day all works just fine. It has something to do with first start / cold start. Thank you

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
you need to check your battery, if it's not charged to a certain level then the start/stop functionality will be disabled (will not even try). In cold weather this is common as the battery has to work extra hard to start the car, so to resolve, go for a one or two hour drive to fully charge your battery and the next day you should notice a difference, if not, then perhaps it's time to consider changing the battery.

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
you need to check your battery, if it's not charged to a certain level then the start/stop functionality will be disabled (will not even try). In cold weather this is common, so to resolve, go for a one or two hour drive to fully charge your battery and the next day you should notice a difference, if not, then it's time to consider changing the battery.

Non essential journey, contrary to our Covid Lock Down instructions. However every other week I do just that, maybe not two hours but certainly close to one hour :rolleyes: :)

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ah i didn't think of that, I live in Sweden so we can drive whenever we want for as long as we want.

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
Good day all. Thank you for all your feedback. Maybe I did not make myself clear enough. When turning on the ignition first time in morning whilst engine is cold, all appears to be normal (amber ECO light is on (dashboard) and green light is on (on-off switch). Then when starting the car first time in the morning (cold start), the amber ECO light disappears and the green light on on-off switch is “dead” and when you press the switch nothing happens. The only way to get the stop-start system back is by switching off the engine and restarting the car. During the day all works just fine. It has something to do with first start / cold start. Thank you
it will be the main battery mine did the exactly the same thing as you are describing

OP
H

Herman C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 MB E Class (W212)
Good day all. Thank you for all the valuable feedback. I will replace the main battery and let you know in due course.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
You'll be wasting your money if the battery doesn't need changing, have you tested it or had it tested?
Your target is 12.6v without the engine running and around 14.6 with the engine running.
Have these symptoms recently developed or have you just decided to do something about them?
How long have you had the car and were these symptoms present from the beginning?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
As Tony says, before you go and buy a battery get it drop tested first, could save you a few quid :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Although, assuming the battery is the original 2014 one, it's 7 years old, my 212 needed a change at 4 years, seemed a bit premature but nowadays 5 years is about it...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yup in 2001 my new clk batt lasted ten yr. A class now shot in 6 sure ml will be in 5 . Two things ,more electronic crxx to run and maker prob lowering stds to reach a more acceptable ( to them,) dtf point.
In a nutshell .nothing modern lasts ! Just as one gets used to it one is looking to replace it.or in my case plannin to manage without it. Want something to last,buy something old !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yup in 2001 my new clk batt lasted ten yr. A class now shot in 6 sure ml will be in 5 . Two things ,more electronic crxx to run and maker prob lowering stds to reach a more acceptable ( to them,) dtf point.
In a nutshell .nothing modern lasts ! Just as one gets used to it one is looking to replace it.or in my case plannin to manage without it. Want something to last,buy something old !
I lit the touchpaper again there..... :p :D

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Although, assuming the battery is the original 2014 one, it's 7 years old, my 212 needed a change at 4 years, seemed a bit premature but nowadays 5 years is about it...

Yes, another consequence of Stop/Start demands - mine lasted 6 years

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Not very Eco is it...

So ordinary lead acid of good quality and the same size good for 50,000 starts .

An AGM 360,000 starts .

Yet people are replacing AGM not because it's gone or slow starting the car but because this wrecking ball abomination of a so called Eco feature is thankfully no longer working .

My AGM is 10 years old and sub 80K and it's days are numbered as only charges to 12 / 12.1V but starts the car no problem .

The last 110 lead acid battery I replaced was 12.5 years old and the car had done 173K !

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom