Eco. What exactly does it do?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
With the price of fuel so high I'll be doing everything I can to reduce my fuel consumption.
One of those things is to actually use ECO mode.
It clearly turns on the Stop/Start function but I'm interested to know what else it does.
The car seems to change up the gears sooner and certainly it's made a big difference on my drive home through Bedford, achieving the dizzy heights of just over 30 mpg! Of course, that was just one journey so time will tell.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Eco modifies the aircon in some way?
What else does it do?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Eco changes up earlier and holds on longer before changing down. I know in some EV's their systems will switch off AC and limit top speed and acceleration to preserve range.

Best thing for economy is to slow down a bit on motorways (I set cruise at 68 now), pump your tyres to the maximum, empty the boot and car of unnecessary weight and anticipate whilst driving so you don't have to brake. All braking does is convert that dead dinosaur juice into heat.

I had a decent run yesterday and the figures are below :)

1656669252085.png

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Eco changes up earlier and holds on longer before changing down. I know in some EV's their systems will switch off AC and limit top speed and acceleration to preserve range.

Best thing for economy is to slow down a bit on motorways (I set cruise at 68 now), pump your tyres to the maximum, empty the boot and car of unnecessary weight and anticipate whilst driving so you don't have to brake. All braking does is convert that dead dinosaur juice into heat.

I had a decent run yesterday and the figures are below :)

View attachment 77886
Yup! I've done all the fuel saving things too. :cool:
I rarely brake if I can help it!
I'm also keeping the fuel tank no more than 1/2 full (my tank is 80 litres, so weighs over 60kgs full!)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Keeps dealer fat on starters ring gears and related items for me it's key in ecco off, end of.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Outside the above, I find comfy/eco mode well suited the Merc models I have as I find the sport mode rather dim witted.

As for consumption driving style is the biggest factor in my eyes outside the usual small variables. I have never been one for swift starts by nature or heavy breaking, such as folks who zip from red light to red light. I keep my eyes peeled far into the horizon to see what’s going on and have always tried to adjust/react well, well, in advance to keep a smooth yet progressive nature.

My 70yr old mum gets an instant 10mpg less around town in my Volvos, about 14mpg less on a run and again almost 10mpg less in the CLS I handed down all round …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Keeps dealer fat on starters ring gears and related items for me it's key in ecco off, end of.
That used to be me too!
But enough is enough with fuel prices.
I'll trust that MB have done the Eco start properly!
Nothing spins or makes any noise...I take my foot off the brake and the engine is running again, instantly.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yes it does work but my view saving on fuel will be lost on early replacement of kit I mentioned plus timing chains ect

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
You might be confusing Eco mode with Eco stop start?

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
You might be confusing Eco mode with Eco stop start?
Dunno!
I mean I'd like to know everything this Eco button (green light) does, which is more than just turning on/off Stop/Start

2E0CD1F6-124E-4034-A59D-F7C682313F0E.jpeg

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I'd like to expand this discussion into modes generally, can anyone tell me the difference between sport and sport+? They feel the same to me, but does + switch off functions like stability control, there is very little explanation on modes in the handbook. My car spends almost all of its time in comfort, and living as I do in a very congested part of the Country, it's usually driven fairly gently, my Wife's frequent presence in the passenger seat does have an influence on this... I've never tried eco, I tried it in my previous car, an Alfa Guilia, and didn't like it at all, the car felt rather sluggish. That car had a DNA switch next to the autobox lever, D for Drive, N for normal, and A for advanced, which was eco. I like sport in my C300, but mainly use S for things like slotting into busy traffic streams etc, as it's the only way other than manual where the car uses first gear. The car sounds great in sport, but I suspect that's all artificially produced through the car's speakers, it doesn't make the car noisier to people outside does it?

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I'd like to expand this discussion into modes generally, can anyone tell me the difference between sport and sport+? They feel the same to me, but does + switch off functions like stability control, there is very little explanation on modes in the handbook. My car spends almost all of its time in comfort, and living as I do in a very congested part of the Country, it's usually driven fairly gently, my Wife's frequent presence in the passenger seat does have an influence on this... I've never tried eco, I tried it in my previous car, an Alfa Guilia, and didn't like it at all, the car felt rather sluggish. That car had a DNA switch next to the autobox lever, D for Drive, N for normal, and A for advanced, which was eco. I like sport in my C300, but mainly use S for things like slotting into busy traffic streams etc, as it's the only way other than manual where the car uses first gear. The car sounds great in sport, but I suspect that's all artificially produced through the car's speakers, it doesn't make the car noisier to people outside does it?
On mine I have two sport modes.
One for suspension and one for gearing.
Sport on the gears makes the car more aggressive in its gear changes, hanging on to gears longer and changing at higher revs. I suspect there's a bit of a change to the mapping too because it goes like a scalded cat in sport! :shock:
For the suspension Sport stiffens up the ride a little and gives the car sharper steering as opposed to Comfort where you feel like you're being carried by angels on a cloud! :cool::geek:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Dunno!
I mean I'd like to know everything this Eco button (green light) does, which is more than just turning on/off Stop/Start

View attachment 77890
It just turns the stop/start off on my ML. Suspension & sports is via another dial in the centre console.
20190902-205852.jpg

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Like many things, it is model and year dependent.

On my 2018 GLC, Eco changes gear up quicker, reduces the aircon output, uses coasting mode when off-throttle and reduces the air suspension height slightly. Stop/start is already active in the default Comfort mode.

Sport+ is hooligan mode, I have only used it once chasing a BMW X3 M40i up Mont Ventoux and I was rather too busy to notice much other than the way the car blipped the throttle on down changes. I have never noticed that in Sport mode.

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
Like many things, it is model and year dependent.

On my 2018 GLC, Eco changes gear up quicker, reduces the aircon output, uses coasting mode when off-throttle and reduces the air suspension height slightly. Stop/start is already active in the default Comfort mode.

Sport+ is hooligan mode, I have only used it once chasing a BMW X3 M40i up Mont Ventoux and I was rather too busy to notice much other than the way the car blipped the throttle on down changes. I have never noticed that in Sport mode.
What was the outcome in the chase with the X3

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
What was the outcome in the chase with the X3
it wasn’t a race and he set the pace - I just kept up with him (only just kept up with him but the cars are pretty well matched for performance). He had Belgian number plates and I came up behind him at some roadworks traffic lights. After the next corner he floored it and so it went on for quite a long time. He was a fairly gentle around the bends but flat out on the short straights between corners and we clearly frightened a few of the cyclists as two V6s screamed past them. We never hit more than about 65mph but the acceleration was pretty fierce. It all stopped when we came across some slow traffic making their way around a flock of goats.

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
Dunno!

View attachment 77890
nope thats all it does is turn the stop start on and off and if i was you i would turn it off as it has been known to contribute to premature timing chain wear, the economy mode on the gearbox is what changes the gears sooner etc.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The car seems to change up the gears sooner and certainly it's made a big difference on my drive home through Bedford, achieving the dizzy heights of just over 30 mpg! Of course

What else does it do?
In both of my cars, it makes them sluggish and boring to drive, but incredibly it does not appear to give any more MPG than using comfort mode. So I never use Eco anymore.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
nope thats all it does is turn the stop start on and off and if i was you i would turn it off as it has been known to contribute to premature timing chain wear, the economy mode on the gearbox is what changes the gears sooner etc.
I don't believe that's the case. It does more than just the Stop/Start on my car, I'm quite convinced.
2016 CLS Shooting Brake 350d.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don't believe that's the case. It does more than just the Stop/Start on my car, I'm quite convinced.
2016 CLS Shooting Brake 350d.
What does your manual say?

Edit… just checked the online version and it does suggest it just turns the auto stop/start on and off. Do you have the E/S button on the lower console?
C18EA362-42F5-4978-907F-6F1C27869FBF.jpeg

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom