Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Give me some time this morning Jib, still got a plan mate, let you know after 9am!!!!

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
ok many thanks.

jib

meanie

Reaction score
Maybe a Bentley next.........umm

jib

And you think the CL is money pit!!!!!

I have daily experience of these & it's terrifying.
Turbos do head gaskets at 60000miles (£800 for the head set).
Turbos with big brakes-allow another £800 for discs & pads (front only).
Hope you haven't got a nice drive-it'll soon change to an oily brown & green mess.
Let's not even talk about rust-they make 210's seem prestine.

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Well a little result so far, the EPC print out showing the code numbers well I erased the coding on my ECU and enter the 1st line of codes to my ECU it accepted code 032 016 127!!!!! EPC light on dash is now out !!!!! and the car starts fine.
Will spend more time on star this morning to see what how things are running.

later
jib

psmart

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll just clarify some terminology Im using as it can be misleading. Terminology I use:-

Software/Program = Like for example Windows OS, its the primary program installed in the Flash-Ram which directs the Microcontroller what to do.
Microcontroller = A Processor (CPU) with extra internal hardware for use in controlling a system, such as a car engine (via additional electronic components).
Code = This can be used to mean a Software Program, but in this context is refers to a number or set of numbers that uniquely identify a particular vehicle, in my cars case its stored in the AAM and programmed into the ECU. When the ECU starts up, it reads its code and verifies it with the AAM before allowing the engine to start (simply put, an immobiliser system).

Your ECU should contain a Software Program which runs the engine. If it contains a code then it shouldnt start the engine if the code is different to that stored in the AAM (or equivalent).

It should be a relatively simple process to read the software out of the working ECU and program it into the old ECU (unless there is a problem with the Flash-Ram or other electronics, preventing it. ie. The corruption could be because the Flash-Ram no longer stores data, so re-programming it will gain nothing). If your car doesnt verify the code, then the engine should run.

On the cars Ive played with, the ML270, C220 (both of which I sourced a spare ECU from Ebay, but both of which were coded for another vehicle and I could find no way, via CarSoft or Star to re-code them) Ive been able to read out the software and re-program it into the spare. On connecting the re-programmed spare to the vehicle, it works (because if it didnt, the fan etc would come on) but it wont start the engine due to a wrong code and it displays Error in the console display.

Ive used the KWP2000 to read out all the software programs in my cars (except the 500 which I havent got round to), its a simple process, but the coding doesnt seem to be. With CarSoft/Star its a case of:- with the old ECU in the car, turn on ignition, read out the Code, turn off ignition, swap ECU's, turn on ignition then write the code to the new ECU. Unfortunately, the coding process only works 1 time.

On opening up the ECU's and studying them a little, Siemens Infinion microcontrollers have on-board Flash-Ram and also the ECU's have an external Flash-Ram. The external Flash-Ram is what is used to store the Software Program. The internal (to the Microcontroller) Flash-Ram stores the coding. You can re-program the Microcontroller by attaching a programmer to the correct pins, I dont have one and never got round to making/buying one.

If the 2nd ECU you have is for the same car/engine, then reading out the Software Program and programming it into the Old ECU should be ok. Once the old ECU is programmed, you can read back what you programmed to verify that the old ECU doesnt have a problem. If the verification is positive but the engine still doesnt run properly, then there is a problem with the hardware in the ECU. If the engine wont start (ie. starter wont turn), then its probably due to the coding (if the '95 models used it for immobilisation purposes).

Bit long winded, my appologies for this. If Ive misunderstood and you dont have a 2nd ECU, then just find someone with the same car and read out their ECU Software Program and program it into your ECU. Or contact someone who performance programs Mercs (there was a guy on here sometime back), he may have the Software Program for your car/ECU.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Agree Pete great car in many respects and should you be going to the next duxford meet than I would be more than happy to let you have a drive, I have on many occasions thought about selling but I cant think of anything to replace it with, I have the use of a W124, W203 and SLK none of which compare.

jib

pity duxford is so far from here and im struggling to find work, otherwise id be there! ive ever driven an slk, but ive driven 124's and a few 203's as well as my own cars. the 203's drive well but there nowhere near as comfortable as my 210! or at least my dads isnt!

Top Bottom