ECU Re-Map...........??

gworilla

Reaction score
Ok, I've been debating this for some time. Should I re-map or go for the stock superchip....!!!!!

Anyhow, after much conversations with the alleged experts over the last few months (and there have been a few!!), I have now come to the conclusion that the re-map IS the way to go as the process is more customizable to an individuals vehicle.

I also asked if there would be any long term damage to the vehicle, but I was told "no" as the re-map is just "ironing out the creases" to make the car drive better and give me a fairly significant gains in both bhp at the wheels and improve torque banding throughout.

A guy in Leicester has done quite a few high powered MB's and he claims a minimum of between 20-25bhp for £435, which if correct would be superb.

Has anyone on here had the ECU re-map and what were the results?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ok, I've been debating this for some time. Should I re-map or go for the stock superchip....!!!!!

Anyhow, after much conversations with the alleged experts over the last few months (and there have been a few!!), I have now come to the conclusion that the re-map IS the way to go as the process is more customizable to an individuals vehicle.

I also asked if there would be any long term damage to the vehicle, but I was told "no" as the re-map is just "ironing out the creases" to make the car drive better and give me a fairly significant gains in both bhp at the wheels and improve torque banding throughout.

A guy in Leicester has done quite a few high powered MB's and he claims a minimum of between 20-25bhp for £435, which if correct would be superb.

Thanks

If the gain is only 20-25 bhp it depends on what you have before you start, I have 309bhp and I would not spend £435 for that little gain

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
Yes I've had mine done, cost 2k but that did include the limiter removal. Dyno road tested 585BHP. This has been covered in another thread and I'm having it put back to factory settings when I can afford it.

OP
gworilla

gworilla

Reaction score
If the gain is only 20-25 bhp it depends on what you have before you start, I have 309bhp and I would not spend £435 for that little gain

The stock BHP is 279, he can guarantee 299/300 horses but is pretty confident that he can get closer to your output of 309 bhp.

I thought that was a reasonable price, given some of the quotes that I had (£600+). Do you not think so?

OP
gworilla

gworilla

Reaction score
Yes I've had mine done, cost 2k but that did include the limiter removal. Dyno road tested 585BHP. This has been covered in another thread and I'm having it put back to factory settings when I can afford it.

Wow!! that's pretty impressive but 3 questions spring to mind:

1) what extra work was done to get that output?
2) why are you having it returned to factory settings?
3) does your car drive and feel better now the uprade has been done?

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
It feels the same steering on these are renowed for being a bit vague, slighty quicker on 0-60 4.2seconds
0-130ish in around 10 seconds, top end estimated 195. Work done remapped & limiter removed. I used to do track days my quickest is 160mph bottle ran out. Having it put back it cost a fortune to run, insurance etc.. and before I kill myself.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can understand Dave putting his back to the factory settings I drive quite fast and yes a touch more would be nice. Dave has about 180 more than me in standard form.

I have 285bhp in my V70R thats only 2.3 liter, many people take them up to 310

Hard question in all

Balal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R230
I was actually doing some research on that as well, now I dont have as powerfull cars as yours, its a 230 kompressor - 197 bhp ... and I was quoted 399 for ECU remap to give 20 bhp increase, + 350 for pulley upgrade and that would in total give me 50 bhp increase.
I am not sure if that 50bhp increase gives any noticeable difference in acceleration or overall power or does it ?!? any suggestions please?

also is this pulley upgrade safe? someone told me I would have to get head rebuilt to be on safe side for it ?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Thanks

Whichever you go for, don't forget to notify your insurance company as you need to tell them any mods or your policy will be null and void. Secondly, if you are still under guarantee, you will infringe the guarantee unless you have Merc approval.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Had just shy of 400bhp in my HSR but I had faster reactions in those days (damn well needed 'em!) and the roads were quieter. Would be certain death now....

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500

Thanks

I have been thinking about the superchips supposed to give 15bhp mor and better midrange at £299. Could you PM me the name and nukber of the bloke in leicester please as im only 35 miles from there and I would like to see what he says about the 3.2 v6.

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500

Thanks

I have been thinking about the superchips supposed to give 15bhp mor and better midrange at £299. Could you PM me the name and number of the bloke in leicester please as im only 35 miles from there and I would like to see what he says about the 3.2 v6.

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500

Thanks

I have been thinking about the superchips supposed to give 15bhp mor and better midrange at £299. Could you PM me the name and number of the bloke in leicester please as im only 35 miles from there and I would like to see what he says about the 3.2 v6.

THOMO

Reaction score
Dont bother with superchips if its a clk 430 .I tried a superchip for 24 hrs,it was awfull. infact it was that bad i thought it was 40 bhp less !!
1 it was quiet on idle
2 it was much louder on full throttle
3 gear settings was not right.i.e power band ended too soon compared to standard.Peak power started much later.
4 crunched a gear!!!!! .which never happened before.
5 The superchip dealer service was very good.the map itself was awful in my opinion.
6 when the car was put back to the original map, the car felt like it had been given 40 bhp. i smiled all the way home!!
I do believe someone on the forum had a live map at superchips H/Q linked to some place in Germany and was very happy.Ive used superchips before on my turbo cars and found them to be very good.

Last edited:
OP
gworilla

gworilla

Reaction score
Street Racers - Leicester

The website is http://www.streetracersgd.co.uk/ give them a call

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

You won't even notice 15bhp on a 3.2 litre. Why not heed the warnings on this thread and on many others about the harm some of the non Merc appproved tuners can do.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The actual numbers of additional horsepower are pretty meaningless. Whats actually important is the % increase. Most people cannot tell the difference between 200 hp and 220 hp, at least not when increasing it. Most people will notice the drop if its removed though. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything less than 15% as at least I have a chance of actually feeling it make a difference. A lot of the chips out there that produce 10% or less additonal power rely on the fact that psychologically we expect the car to feel quicker so believe it is whether it is or is not.

But as they say.... Its your money.....

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
not yet....

still not decided what to do as yet. The tuners in Leicester have a rolling road and claim a better result than the standard superchips stuff.
I used the HP figs as that seems to be the common currency when talking about this type of thing however its the mid range not the top end I am interested in and that's where I am at the moment.

I am in no hurry to do this so i'll wait to speak to a friend of mine whose brother in law works for Mclaren racing - blipping the throttle on the laptop in the pits sort of guy. I guess he will know a thing or two.

My own experience of chipping has only been on motorcycles which using a piggy back Power Commander gave good results on my VFR 800 FiW.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom