ECU Re-Map...........??

THOMO

Reaction score
your safest bet is to put a k+n filter on.also replace the exhaust system with more free flowing 100 cell cats .theres a possible 20 bhp/torque gain .the filters are easy to obtain from ebay etc.for a new sports exhaust system ,take advise from guys from this forum.

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
exhaust

your safest bet is to put a k+n filter on.also replace the exhaust system with more free flowing 100 cell cats .theres a possible 20 bhp/torque gain .the filters are easy to obtain from ebay etc.for a new sports exhaust system ,take advise from guys from this forum.

Thanks Thomo. The cats have just been replaced and I think the cost / benefit ratio is going to be hard to swallow on that :-? K&N sounds like it should be part of any tune up as they always make a difference on bikes..

OP
gworilla

gworilla

Reaction score
I think the beauty of the re-map is that it is more customizable to the individuals car as opposed to the superchips. I am still toying with the idea given the alleged power gains I was quoted. IF and a big IF, they can get an extra 40bhp gain, this equates to approx 15% of the original power output, which then I hope I would notice the difference.

My only gripe is paying £400+ for something that may not be as good as I am hoping that it is.....but then again!!!

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I can increase the performance of any MB for as little as £149.99

jib

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I think the beauty of the re-map is that it is more customizable to the individuals car as opposed to the superchips. I am still toying with the idea given the alleged power gains I was quoted. IF and a big IF, they can get an extra 40bhp gain, this equates to approx 15% of the original power output, which then I hope I would notice the difference.

My only gripe is paying £400+ for something that may not be as good as I am hoping that it is.....but then again!!!

And how much extra do your insurance company want?
Are you out of the 3 year guarantee from new? Otherwise, that will be affected, too.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
1. Increase tyre pressure.
2. Remove spare wheel and jack pack.
3. Remove seats, Keep Drivers seat.
4. Use Shell Optimax
5. Remove Carpets
6. Remove Wife/Partner/Boyfriend/Dog

Option 4 tends to give a good result, and 6 has its benefits to.

jib

mark999

Reaction score
I can highly reccomend www.upsolute.com They will re-map your ECU for around 300 (power gains almost exactly the same as Superchips).
I've hav a V220Cdi and a VW caravelle Tdi done with excellent results. They even do it at home or work for you.

Mark

Mercrob

Reaction score
Ok, I've been debating this for some time. Should I re-map or go for the stock superchip....!!!!!

Anyhow, after much conversations with the alleged experts over the last few months (and there have been a few!!), I have now come to the conclusion that the re-map IS the way to go as the process is more customizable to an individuals vehicle.

I also asked if there would be any long term damage to the vehicle, but I was told "no" as the re-map is just "ironing out the creases" to make the car drive better and give me a fairly significant gains in both bhp at the wheels and improve torque banding throughout.

A guy in Leicester has done quite a few high powered MB's and he claims a minimum of between 20-25bhp for £435, which if correct would be superb.

Has anyone on here had the ECU re-map and what were the results?

Thanks

Please whatever you do, DO NOT GO FOR THE SUPERCHIP !!!

I'm new to the Merc scene, but come from a back round tuning high powered
Impreza's.

Basically the Superchip is a joke, get yourself a proper mapper and put it on a rolling road, then have it tweaked out on the highway with you driving, it can then be mapped to your driving style.

Fueling/Injector cycles/Ignition etc will be spot on then.

Yes, it's more expensive but you'll be safe in the knowledge that your pride and joy has been dealt with properly.

Rob

OP
gworilla

gworilla

Reaction score
Over to you Rob......

Please whatever you do, DO NOT GO FOR THE SUPERCHIP !!!

I'm new to the Merc scene, but come from a back round tuning high powered
Impreza's.

Basically the Superchip is a joke, get yourself a proper mapper and put it on a rolling road, then have it tweaked out on the highway with you driving, it can then be mapped to your driving style.

Fueling/Injector cycles/Ignition etc will be spot on then.

Yes, it's more expensive but you'll be safe in the knowledge that your pride and joy has been dealt with properly.

Rob

Rob, Why do so many firms promote the Superchip, as like you state in your response, the re-mapping option is so much better? Are these firms just playing on peoples ignorance?

Along with the re-map would you suggest any other beneficial performance enhancements that really will make that extra bit of difference to the drive and the power of My CLK 430? All suggestions welcome.

I don't have a bottomless pit, so nothing too radical.....Thanks

Mercrob

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I think what your saying about ignorance is correct, Superchips is a well established product that people believe in but it's not a custom map.

Basically it's an off the shelf product that has a generic map for each car, now each car is very different and what might suit some won't do on others.

As for your car, fueling is paramount, if your looking at big power gains an uprated fuel pump and larger injectors are beneficial, high flow panel filter and of course exhaust.

You could go the de-cat route, but that's an issue with MOT's

Just a few suggestions that may help you.

Rob

Andy Wr

Reaction score
You could go the de-cat route, but that's an issue with MOT's
Interesting point, a mate of mine told me that a diesel engine does not need a cat for its mot, surely this has got to be untrue, the cat must make a difference or else they would not be fitted.

Mercrob

Reaction score
Interesting point, a mate of mine told me that a diesel engine does not need a cat for its mot, surely this has got to be untrue, the cat must make a difference or else they would not be fitted.

I'm not sure about diesel, is the 430 this guy's talking about a diesel then.:confused:

Rob

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Different legislation. EU4 must be met by manufacturers of new diesel cars.
MOT rules are different. I don't know if they require Cats for diesels but it is worth thinking about what you, your children and others breathe. I am not anti diesel. Have it and love it. But I am glad that the emissions controls have made a huge difference to what comes out of the back. Mine has no smell and no smoke either.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom