Electric mirror offside for 84 SEC

pulse

Reaction score
I saw that forum member Talbir has fitted an electric drivers side wing mirror. I would like to do the same as i think its a bit strange to have an electric near side mirror but only a manual on the drivers side for such a prestigeous car (especially at the price it was sold at when first released).

If your reading this, or for anyone else who knows, could you tell me what c class you took yours from or what type will fit my 84 SEC 500?

What wiring will be required and where did you install the switch.

OP
P

pulse

Reaction score
sorry, an amendment, he took it from a "...early model US SEC pass side mirror". Is there any other options?

talbir

Reaction score
Hi,

The only 'proper' way of achieving this mod is on the post 09/85 w126 models which have the late mirror set-up and the correct switch slot in the wood console.

To achieve an original MB dual electric mirror set-up via one twin wing mirror adjustment switch, you require the loom and switch from a r129 or late w124. The switch from those models controls both wing mirrors and fits into the same hole that is in the post 85 w126 wood.

However, that switch does not fit in the pre 86 w126 wood, which has a bigger slot. The switch fits into the wood from above, whereas on the post 85 w126, switch slots into place from beneath the wood.

The biggest difference is in the wiring on pre and post 85 mirrors. Pre 86 mirrors had a solenoid set-up whereas post 09/85 w126 mirrors have a twin-motor set-up. Moreover, the post 85 mirrors are heated, whereas the early ones are not.

So to achieve the mod correctly you'd need to change both wing mirrors to late ones and then change the centre console wood to a late wood piece...whcih would also neccesitate the change of all window switches and wiring for those as the early window switches cannot fit into the late wood. Not easy .......

So the solution I had on my early 1985 500SECwas to first get a US pass side wing mirror from an early car. Then wire in a single lever switch which has 4 poles x 3 (available from Maplin) - this can be used to then switch which wing mirror you are going to adjust - you then use the existing mirror adjustment switch to adjust the wing mirror once you have selected which one you are adjusting.

And that's it. The wiring loom needs to run form the wing mirror, through door into kick panel area, run under the seat to the centre console (that's how MB have done it on the pass side).

That Maplin switch is tiny and can be fitted anywhere - jst flick it left or right depending on which mirror you want to adjust.

That's the easiest way to do the dual electric mirror set-up on an early w126.

On the late ones it's easy - just get a late US pass side wing mirror (or get a motor and fix it into the existing manual drivers mirror frame) and then get a late w124 or r129 loom and switch and plug in. Simple.

I'll be happy to do the job for you if you want. Having done it before and knowing what's required, it won't take me more than 3-4 hours.

regards
talbir

OP
P

pulse

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your thoroughly comprehensive explanation. I am having trouble finding an early US pass mirror. If i opt for a motor, then I'm assuming the motor can be the bog standard which is used on the pass side? Do you know of any breakers who may hold this part. I have tried Mercman in Soton and The Garag in Rochdale but no luck.

Once i have the parts I will try and have a go at doing it my self but i am always wary of touching internal trims, especially on older cars, as they dont always seem to go back properly to where they are supposed to.

I apprecaite your offer and if i find the task too daunting i would like your help. Which part of the country are you in, London?

This is my first Merc and needs a bit of work, so i hope to learn a lot. The next big job is fixing the misfire which i'm hoping to get sorted next week.

You also own one of my other dream cars, the 500E. You obviously have great taste and i feel very envious of you as i cant seem to find any (in my budget). They seemed to have shot up in price and collectors are starting to snap them up.

Top Bottom