Electronic handbrake

zakspeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLA200
Good Afternoon
This morning my wife had an accident with the car, GLA200 manual.
The car rolled down the road approximately 100 metres to hit a lamppost,
I was called to the scene with police and fire brigade in attendance, the fire department had disconnected the battery, because of fuel fears.
There was no fuel, just screen wash, I asked if I could start the car, both agreed.
Opening the car no ignition, re-entered, ignition came on, removed start button, inserted key, car started, but would not drive, I’m guessing gear linkage problem.
Firemen and myself were asked if we could move the car from position to the kerb, trying to move the car it did not move, as the handbrake was on. Released the handbrake successfully.
My wife believes she did apply the brake, walked into the house for a few minutes, returned to find the car down the road.
My question is does the handbrake apply upon locking the car, if it wasn’t applied, did disconnectIng the battery and reconnecting it apply the brake.
The car rolled down the road, across a T junction, into a lamppost outside a nursery, being the reason emergency services were called by neighbour as it was leaking fluid.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I'm not very technical but you'd assume if the handbrake hadn't been applied when parking that by the time your wife had got out of the car it would have started to roll down the hill? We have a slight incline on our drive and if I don't put the car into P every time I park up I can feel it starting to roll down the drive. Our car is an auto so I'm not sure what difference it makes, although I am confident someone on here will have a lot more knowledge than me :eek:

OP
Z

zakspeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLA200
the electric hand/parking brake on my auto ML only applies when I apply it .... definitely not on locking.
Ok, thank you very much, still not sure why the brake was on later!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
For what it’s worth, electronic handbrake on my 2018 GLC applies automatically when I put into Park and turn the engine off.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
the electric hand/parking brake on my auto ML only applies when I apply it .... definitely not on locking.
I think my ml250 applies parking brake when I open the door.? Stand to be corrected but I fairly sure and if key taken out it stays that way until I get in start and shove shift to f. Which in my view is wrong way push forward is r pull back is f?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think my ml250 applies parking brake when I open the door.? Stand to be corrected but I fairly sure and if key taken out it stays that way until I get in start and shove shift to f. Which in my view is wrong way push forward is r pull back is f?
My ML will go into Park when I open the door (& when I switch the ignition off if still in Drive)
I made comment about which way D & R are when I got my R Class ..... I agree, they are ar$e about face. You'd expect to push the lever in the direction you want to go - like you do on a FLT lol

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OP has a manual… so all the talk of autos whilst great isn’t relevant.

A few handbrakes stop holding when the brakes cool, I’d always recommend leaving it in gear when parked so if the handbrake fails it won’t roll away.

A lot of modern ones automatically apply when you come to a stop and then release when you set off again. I’d refer to your owners manual to get the correct info on operation for yours.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Another ", overcomplicated" over engineered design dtf I know it's already happen once. Re design the f wheel 4 wot! Wots wrong with cable and lever, if auto just leave in park, been good for 50 Yr.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I think in a manual the parking brake automatically applies when the ignition is switched off, at least it did that in my previous car, as above though it may be that the brakes cooled allowing it to move just a little then the laws of physics took over

OP
Z

zakspeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLA200
Thanks V6Matty, I would think that, haven’t checked the operating manual yet, but in the event of total battery failure, the fail safe must be brakes on!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks V6Matty, I would think that, haven’t checked the operating manual yet, but in the event of total battery failure, the fail safe must be brakes on!
It f should be. Eg hydraulic brakes. No pressure to overcome spring brake no come off. Electric shxxe shud be same default. Twas on my ml n why old spanners came to rescue in France. Something else I will be avoiding on next motor.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Ahhh... number two on my list of car gadgetry that I f*****g hate, number 1 being start stop technology, number 3 being lane assist. They should all be banned.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
OP has a manual… so all the talk of autos whilst great isn’t relevant.
Any manual car I've ever had was always left in gear, either 1st or reverse as required, when the hand brake was applied.
I think that is the lesson here, too many younger car owners seem to have never been taught this?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Any manual car I've ever had was always left in gear, either 1st or reverse as required, when the hand brake was applied.
I think that is the lesson here, too many younger car owners seem to have never been taught this?
I do the same, I rarely leave the handbrake on as I’ve had too many rust on

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
Modern EPBs are basically a motor and reduction gearbox that winds out a screw inside the normal caliper piston. Much less likely to stick than some old cable.

They give the option for automatic activation, provide braking force feedback and are intrinsically safe. You need to drive the motor to open and close the piston.
The lack of cable allows for improved interior design options too.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't like them.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Electric parking brakes do fail, just like mechanical ones - I've had mine repaired. It failed on, on one wheel, but it doesn't take long to wear the friction material away and the brake does not apply enough force to stop a wheel turning.

On an auto in park it's not a problem, but on a manual it is. I was taught to always leave the car in the opposite gear to which if the car rolled it would cause an issue e.g., first gear to prevent it rolling backwards and reverse to prevent it rolling forwards. I also remember being told that when parking on a steep street with a pavement to leave the steering angled so that if the car did roll the front wheels would catch the kerb before the car moved too much.

On my car the electric brake is applied whenever a door is opened or the ignition turned off.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
and front wheels left pointing towards kerb so if you do start to roll emergency kerb braking is applied (I did learn in 20 year old late 50's cars)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My electric hand brake worked automatically when I switched off the ignition on my old 06 Renault and released automatically when I selected gear and started to let the clutch out.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom