Engine diagnostic light on

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
on my first use of the car since lockdown started the engine diagnostic light came on and stayed on during my drive to and from the tidy tip.
The owners manual says nothing and the car drives perfectly. It is an E300 hybrid 2012 and started first time.
Is this serious or just what to expect after a lengthy non use?
Thanks

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Prob not serious. Could be voltage issue. Had that on my ml when voltage low and had to jump start it. Went away after a number of starts. Needless to say nothing in book about it. If ur keeping car get something to read codes I use a version of star. Many happy with other systems icarsoft one I believe.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
Your Tip is open!! Impressive. All closed in my area. Quite often the light is a sensor fault. The only way to find the problem is with a code reader.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above. The only way to know for sure what the error is is to get the codes read.

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
Your Tip is open!! Impressive. All closed in my area. Quite often the light is a sensor fault. The only way to find the problem is with a code reader.
Yup, opened today with advance booking only. Hardly anyone around as not publicised much.
Thanks to all for code advice. I haven't had much luck with this in the past. E.g. one day the whole car display and everything went blank when on the outside lane of the M25. Fortunately traffic was moving so I managed to coast into the hard shoulder and phoned Merc. Just switch off and on and then go to the nearest dealer. That restored the car and the dealer said there were no codes and nothing wrong. Arrgggghhhh!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
It's Not out of question that the issues are related. As no way dash should just go blanc. Suggest you contact an indie near you. Someone will advise nearest. Many on here incl me not fan of dealers. At least have codes read. Then maybe get and familiarize yrself with suitable reader.

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
Interesting about the distrust of dealers. I did point out to the Milton Keynes dealer that if the diags could not catch such a crash they weren't up to much. Anyway since umpteen software updates the car has been fine for the past couple of years and at £20 pa road tax still valid I won't be changing any time soon. Actually it is a great car and so economical for a car of this size and it's an estate as well. I now take it to Poole for service and they are very competent and transparent, plus they have a customer who turns up with a live parrot on his shoulder and he is not a pirate.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
Interesting about the distrust of dealers. I did point out to the Milton Keynes dealer that if the diags could not catch such a crash they weren't up to much. Anyway since umpteen software updates the car has been fine for the past couple of years and at £20 pa road tax still valid I won't be changing any time soon. Actually it is a great car and so economical for a car of this size and it's an estate as well. I now take it to Poole for service and they are very competent and transparent, plus they have a customer who turns up with a live parrot on his shoulder and he is not a pirate.

This IS ONLY my oppinion. Not always the norm as it depends on each MB Garage.
The thing about independant Garages is that they have a reputation that is known locally and it is normally a familly owned business, that there would be a personalfinancial loss to them if their reputation falls. MB sell cars, Spares as well as service, and they have Mechanics that MAY NOT stay for years at the same garage, so the skill base goes up or down as the staff change. The financial loss to that garage does not really effect the staff. The MB garage near me has an excellant parts department and the are always friendly and helpful, but my experience with the service department has some times left me cold, so I do not take my car there anymore and use a local independant garage. As I said earlier this is only my oppinion, but this has been brought on by my experience of my local MB Service Centre.

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
Thanks John
In fact until end of last year I had to take my car to a MB garage due to the various warranties but am now free.
My last MB I also had from new and eventually went to an independent when I damaged a wing mirror and the MB dealer wanted pounds various for a whole new mechanism. The independent said it was a standard problem and a broken cable fixed with solder. One hour finish and perfect. I kept with him until the new car and off we go again. Anyway as I said the car has been perfect apart from this light so I will see if the indep is open. Great reminder.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom