Engine Light, Fault Codes, 2013 313 Sprinter (L3/H3)

Doc.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 L3H2 Sprinter 313
Hi all.
Not been on here since just after my Daughter bought the Van (July 2021).
She was going to do a Camper Conversion, but then my first Grandchild came along, so that's been shelved.
It's not done a lot of miles since she got it, mostly me borrowing it for moving Motorbikes and DIY stuff around!

Anyway, it's just thrown the Engine Check Light.
My Topdon Diagnostic Tool shows the following DTC;

P2BAC ~ NOx Exceedance - Deactivation of EGR (both 'current' and 'stored' Codes)

Also, a System Scan brings up the Code;
P010315 Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 has a Short Circuit To Positive, there is a Circuit to Positive or an Open Circuit

I took it off and gave it a quick clean today, no change. Wasn't expecting it to rectify it, but thought it was worth a try.

12V at the Connector is good, as is the Ground/Earth.
I haven't done a Voltage check on the other Pin(s) to see if it changes with Revs yet, that's the next job.

Any 'quick' checks I can try, like running with the MAF disconnected?
Any other related areas to look at, Intake leaks, wiring damage?

Is the NOx/EGR fault likely to be connected to the MAF Fault?

Many thanks for your time.

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
The NOx Exceedance - Deactivation of EGR fault is just a statement of fact. It is telling you it has deactivated the EGR, therefore the NOx will be increased.
The MAF is the feedback in the EGR closed loop control system. So if MAF signal is missing it can't control EGR, so it gets deactivated.

Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 has a Short Circuit To Positive, there is a Circuit to Positive or an Open Circuit, is a simple electrical diagnostic check, it suggests the ECU is seeing a constant 5v at the signal pin, nothing to do with air leaks.
You need to check the sensor output, check the wiring between sensor and ECU,

OP
Doc.

Doc.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 L3H2 Sprinter 313
OK, thanks SN.

Is it a fairly common/known fault, and if so, what's the usual culprit?

I'll check the Sensor output as soon as I can, thanks again.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom