ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
problem today the management light came on in my sons c220amg line what sort of a problem are we looking at the only thing done to the car is we put in wynns anti crystal additive into the adblue tank as was recomended to stop the adblue from crystalising and choking the system it was a 1.25 bottle the adblue tank was near full so should be ok what are your thoughts tia

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Get codes read go from there. Note them and delete them then see what pops up again therein will be ur most likely area of issue

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
The light has been triggered by one or several of the 5000 different DTC codes - no point in guessing, get them read and then you will know.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
problem today the management light came on in my sons c220amg line what sort of a problem are we looking at the only thing done to the car is we put in wynns anti crystal additive into the adblue tank as was recomended to stop the adblue from crystalising and choking the system it was a 1.25 bottle the adblue tank was near full so should be ok what are your thoughts tia
Does he have Mobilio breakdown cover ?
if he does , don’t mention additives :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Get codes read. Only way on modern benz

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
when did a dealer last mess with the car.... AKA it had the tractor emissions recall

might be worth getting your head around this before anything else..... and then post 13 beneath

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
the only thing done to the car is we put in wynns anti crystal additive into the adblue tank as was recomended to stop the adblue from crystalising and choking the system it was a 1.25 bottle the adblue tank was near full so should be ok what are your thoughts tia

Tried adding that stuff to mine, didn't work for me.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if the sensor is really covered in gunk and the car already threw teddies, a splash and dash additive isn't going to sort any build up for a good few months at best - then you need to unravel whatever mess they designed in the software (again assuming the additive manged to get u somewhere on a sensible reading in the adblue tank)

on pugs they don't use diesel to fire up the bonfire in the DPF, they use a separate tank full of PAT fluid, its a pathetic 1 ltr. Last time on a mates this ran low needed dealer software update to get the system to behave (another nice slight of hand to get you paying at the main dealer... you just have to claim it was OK leaving the factory - but really make it buggy to keep the pennies coming in - they are ALL at it)

as for him paying to sort his pug, checked this week and my mate is down to 192ml left in 8k miles - and you have to take an engine cover off down below and struggle to top it up

192 quid for 5 ltr !!!

DPF Fluid is a Fuel Borne Catalyst designed as an aftermarket replacement for Diesel Particulate Filter additives used to aid the regeneration of particulate filters fitted to diesel passenger cars.
  • DPF Fluid is universal as a replacement of all OE DPF additives.
  • Used on many Citroen & Peugeot diesel vehicles and some Ford, Volvo, Fiat, Mazda, Volkswagen, Skoda & Mini?s.
  • Cost Effective & Highly Reliable.

Last edited:

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
if the sensor is really covered in gunk and the car already threw teddies, a splash and dash additive isn't going to sort any build up for a good few months at best - then you need to unravel whatever mess they designed in the software (again assuming the additive manged to get u somewhere on a sensible reading in the adblue tank)

on pugs they don't use diesel to fire up the bonfire in the DPF, they use a separate tank full of PAT fluid, its a pathetic 1 ltr. Last time on a mates this ran low needed dealer software update to get the system to behave (another nice slight of hand to get you paying at the main dealer... you just have to claim it was OK leaving the factory - but really make it buggy to keep the pennies coming in - they are ALL at it)

as for him paying to sort his pug, checked this week and my mate is down to 192ml left in 8k miles - and you have to take an engine cover off down below and struggle to top it up

192 quid for 5 ltr !!!

DPF Fluid is a Fuel Borne Catalyst designed as an aftermarket replacement for Diesel Particulate Filter additives used to aid the regeneration of particulate filters fitted to diesel passenger cars.
  • DPF Fluid is universal as a replacement of all OE DPF additives.
  • Used on many Citroen & Peugeot diesel vehicles and some Ford, Volvo, Fiat, Mazda, Volkswagen, Skoda & Mini?s.
  • Cost Effective & Highly Reliable.

Most manufactures use a catalysed DPF, ie the brick is pre coated with an oxidation catalyst.
Pug don't use a coated DPF, they use a liquid oxidation catalyst (cerium), also known as PAT fluid or Eolys, which gets injected into the fuel.

In both cases the oxidation catalyst reduces the gas temperature needed for regeneration to happen.

Both systems still use diesel to fuel the fire as you say. It's just Peugeot doing something different to the crowd as they love doing.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Most manufactures use a catalysed DPF, ie the brick is pre coated with an oxidation catalyst.
Pug don't use a coated DPF, they use a liquid oxidation catalyst (cerium), also known as PAT fluid or Eolys, which gets injected into the fuel.

In both cases the oxidation catalyst reduces the gas temperature needed for regeneration to happen.

Both systems still use diesel to fuel the fire as you say. It's just Peugeot doing something different to the crowd as they love doing.

thought I provide an update on the fun of Pug's secret stitch up

so mates 308 hdi T9 1.6 tractor of 2016, went into melt down again (18 months after he had the new PAT additive tank and pump replaced)... came round last friday and I used my snap on solus legend to scan for codes

usual detritus due to his mad key off and drift ideas... those all went away - but the PAT tank pump has self destructed message wouldn't go away - it wouldn't respond at all - mega car is dying alert, take me to dealer message on central screen with beeps and bongs - plus service on the IC every start up

all rather irritating as he had re-filled it OK at 40 quid a litre with the hose connectors u need... and I had reset and then done a successful DPF regen using the snap on tool and seen everything working just 2 week prior...

tried multiple high level games and got nowhere - next day he was going to drop the tank poke the connection, see if he could find the relay and ideally compare measurements of the pump with his old one he believed was still about - no joy - he was contemplating another 170 for another tank with integral pump and start the games over....

all rather odd and frustrating as we never found the relay and the fuse diagrams in the owners manual are incredible - the layouts are incomplete, mostly not representative of the board in the car and with random numbering of fuses in no order at all - and making things impossible - the writing on the plastic box so pathetically small - even a great photo on a high end phone in good light can't zoom enough to work out if its 26 28 or 29 MADNESS....

so having given up - he's searching detritus on youtube and comes across one of a bloke with a higher end snap on tool than mine - saying its all a fiddle - I was surprised how very similar to mine it all looked and wondered if I had the same "other menu" (I do). Whilst "ALL" the engine and emission diagnostics, testing routines and live data sits in the engine management section - his video points out when the fault we have is present, it will NEVER clear

but worry not - come out of that section - go down the list of control modules and obvious sections for body control, air bags, in car entertainment etc. and pop back in to another section I had never noticed - called Denox system - where upon it looks very much like all the choices you already have under engine management....

but magically now I see a new section for "replacement of the Multiplexed additive adding pump" (of course without the video I'd have never have gone in this special function, as I wasn't changing any hardware) - but it turns out you go in here and tick "I just replaced the pump" - and magically the FAKE fault unlocks and the car resets to working condition again !!!!

this **** should be illegal

Last edited:

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
That youtube guy who does all the DPF clean vids, O'Reilly just posted about this too. Seems they trigger that fault at about 130k miles.

Top Bottom