Expensive prang

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can it be right I pay for his incompetence - perhaps if you want to drive a car over 300 BHP, you should have to have passed your motorbike test?
Can't see it making any difference. There are more than a few idiots on motorbikes too.

I personally have never felt the need or desire to climb onto an engine on wheels with a couple of gallons of fuel strapped between my legs. I decided many years ago to learn how to drive a car by actually driving one in anger, spending several years in Motorsport on gravel and tarmac surfaces going as quickly as possible. If you can't learn both car control and anticipation doing that you shouldn't drive anything faster than a moped.

Do I get it wrong from time to time? Yes because it's not always obvious something is amiss till you get there. The trick then is recovering it without harm.
Whilst riding a bike teaches anticipation it does nothing to teach how to recover a 2 ton lump of steel that's suddenly developed a mind of its own before it collects someone or something else. When it's gone wrong on a bike you're past the point of recovery.

If you want to set criteria for being permitted to drive high powered vehicles then do it in the basis of proven experience and proven capability in a car.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I think we're all missing the basic lesson here, potentially this car had 295 front tyres and 305 rear tyres?, hitting standing water was always going to turn this car into a paddle board. The driver should have known this and slowed his speed considerably until the roads were dry.
On the plus side, he's now learned something really basic that most drivers were already aware off!

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
To be honest you can have all the best safety features in the world and the best tyres, but if you drive it like a complete idiot then none of them will save you! Ive been driving for 40 years now and time and time again when im driving at a sensible speed and distance, i see loads of twatty drivers hurtle past me like a possesesed demon!....then wonder why they get into trouble....as ive said before....its high performance car....low performance driver and as a proffessional driver i see it more and more now...why?....because its always someone elses fault and never their own......Muppets!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I was on the M3 a few years back, going 5% quicker than was sensible... idiot in a 3 series knew better, as he got 25 m in front of my bonnet did a 720 in front of me and bounced off both sides of the road. Short while later parked on the hard shoulder the front of the bonnet on a fiesta was touching her windscreen...

the issue is they grow up pampered and their first experience of throttle control is 100% on it, cheat code enabled for 15 years - then they put our insurance up within 5 meters of the test centre

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I agree with common sense and understanding that driver aids could help despite them saving many peoples bacon.

A few years ago some muppet in an Audi A3 was travelling quite a bit quicker than most up the M25 whilst were were all taking it easy in snowfall, snow and mushy ice not far off mid night hours. As he came past me he lost it and became a passenger for 2 hgv lengths after which, he sat patiently 20 miles before existing. Had that on dash cam.

Another night just after mid night again heading up the M1 between the Coventry and Leicester area (you all know that stretch), it was just very wet, random standing water and even I just thought, even though I do go faster my sixth sense said no! There was just something odd about the randomness of the standing water and shine of the surfaces in places, coupled with late night/early morning driving. So I just cruised at 60mph thinking we’ll that’s just life lol. Anyway a Nissan quashqui was going at about 115mph, just sat in the outside lane despite a clear empty motorways. A few minutes later, yep he smashed it spinning what must have been a few times, sh!t all over the motorway from car parts and the gravel in the centre reservation, 2 wheels torn off the car, contents like a couple of holdalls thrown out. That made it onto the dashcam hits too. I just thought we’ll that’s really helped you reach your destination now and let’s hope some other idiot doesn’t come tearing up here only to add to the chaos.

I just don’t get some people and it’s probably these sort running on low/illegal tread tyres too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom