Eye spy with my little eye.... gone too far?

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I was a little taken aback by a recent email from Neighbourhood Watch :shock: I think its a slippery slope what do you think?

[Dear Watch Member,

If you live on a street which already has the lower speed limit you can volunteer to form a DriveSafe group with your neighbours to encourage vehicles to slow down.

Those taking part in the programme will be trained to stand at the roadside and record details of speeding vehicles so advisory letters can be sent to the drivers, with the aim of encouraging them to reduce their speed.

To monitor the effectiveness of the 20mph scheme a pilot is now open for five trial sites across the county.]

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Similar schemes have been around for a while.
I recall there was somewhere even had a speed camera for local community speed enforcement.

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Oh my goodness... my thinking was that it was a cost effective way to identify potential speed camera sites... the tone just read quite sinister.... glad to be reassured it's not a first LK.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Oh my goodness... my thinking was that it was a cost effective way to identify potential speed camera sites... the tone just read quite sinister.... glad to be reassured it's not a first LK.
Yea it is fairly common.

Is it ok to speed where other people live but we cannot have them speeding where we live?

.;)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Personally I think its good to get the community involved for a safer and better area. I am all for it.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
As above why not. Only thing is a letter to offenders will do nothing so no real value in my opinion. Unless offenders are not dealt with points/fines it won’t make any difference.

I live next to 3 schools in a 20mph zone. Got reprobates overtaking illegally and dangerously in between the speed bumps, failing to give way at speed bumps, battering their leased sh!t boxes at 60mph over the bumps etc.

IMO offenders bring it on themselves. Don’t drive like tw@ts and you won’t **** off residents. Don’t want to get caught, then don’t speed, simples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I'm sure I've mentioned before, but out side my house and the school next door, on my 30mph residential suburban street we get a lot of absolute f***** ****** doing 60 and 70mph. Maybe more in extremity. Sad to report one white and blacked out C63 as one of the worst offenders on a regular basis. Absolutely thundering along and dragging up and down the gentle but long and straight hill. A few letters wouldn't go astray to the offending motorists, because it won't be too long before someone is killed. I hold my child's hand very tightly when we go out the front on to the drive.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
As above why not. Only thing is a letter to offenders will do nothing so no real value in my opinion. Unless offenders are not dealt with points/fines it won’t make any difference.

I live next to 3 schools in a 20mph zone. Got reprobates overtaking illegally and dangerously in between the speed bumps, failing to give way at speed bumps, battering their leased sh!t boxes at 60mph over the bumps etc.

IMO offenders bring it on themselves. Don’t drive like tw@ts and you won’t **** off residents. Don’t want to get caught, then don’t speed, simples.

OMG, do you live next to me! :D
We have the speedbumps too, and they smash over those with an almighty bang and clatter.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OMG, do you live next to me! :D
We have the speedbumps too, and they smash over those with an almighty bang and clatter.

Sounds like it.

We have had a few incidents on the street with a few drivers loosing control and taking out a front wall here and there.

Only way to combat it is to have unmarked police cars parked up lying in wait all the time not just once in a blue moon.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
We have had those community speed watch groups round here for years. They don't do much good, once the regular speeders work out they are toothless and cannot prosecute.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Probably all that’s left of Cameron’s ’Big Society’ initiative, who needs paid public servants when you can get local residents to do it for you in their ‘spare time’

Where I live in rural South Leicestershire community policing has almost dried up, ferrile youths are out on electric scooters on the road in groups and motorists set their own speed limits through the village to get home to the next village that has been blessed with a large housing estate - don’t get me started

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I'm sure I've mentioned before, but out side my house and the school next door, on my 30mph residential suburban street we get a lot of absolute f***** ****** doing 60 and 70mph. Maybe more in extremity. Sad to report one white and blacked out C63 as one of the worst offenders on a regular basis. Absolutely thundering along and dragging up and down the gentle but long and straight hill. A few letters wouldn't go astray to the offending motorists, because it won't be too long before someone is killed. I hold my child's hand very tightly when we go out the front on to the drive.
Things like that, if you report it enough, the old bill will be there for a day with a speed gun, provided they can hide effectively enough.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
We live in the middle of a 20mph zone with plenty of speed bumps so it's not so much of a problem.Up in the high street it's 30mph but with all the new housing being built you'll be lucky to get to 30 soon unless it's the middle of the night.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Things like that, if you report it enough, the old bill will be there for a day with a speed gun, provided they can hide effectively enough.

Report it to who?

A 406 estate has started using our street as of late and always doing illegal overtakes and today just avoided a head on. The oncoming car had no where to go so end up driving onto the kerb with wheel and some mechanical damage. Driver said steering is very heavy. I have given him a copy of the cctv video. Can’t make out the offenders number plate myself.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I remember some years ago the residents of Wimpole in Cambridgeshire had an image of a Police Car on the grass verge at the entry to the Village. I think it must have been made of plywood or similar and painted like a jam sandwich. I think it was quite effective :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I must be lucky, no neighbourhood watch,not much obvious speeding,no sleeping policemen.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I have found that 90% of the speeders in towns and villages are the residents themselves, I can name many Cambridgeshire/Norfolk villages that I have experienced the locals driving up behind me at speed when I'm doing the posted speed limit, then tailgate me only to indicate and turn into a driveway. Mums picking up their kids from school are the worse offenders. We live on a 30mph and 40mph road. Corner section and and if the locals are doing 30 or under I'll eat my hat ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom