Fascinating build

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Been watching a YouTube channel called Project Binky lately.
It's quite mad - they're shoehorning a Toyota Celica GT Four engine, transmission and 4WD system into..... A Mini.

Not the oversized BMW version but the original 60s version.

Very interesting and a good watch if you're into fabrication and custom builds.

The guys making it have a sense of humour too :)

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Love it. Like many, I've had my share of Mini projects back in the day - but this is really interesting. Thanks LK.
I'll watch the progress. Great set of tools those guys have.

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Love it. Like many, I've had my share of Mini projects back in the day - but this is really interesting. Thanks LK.
I'll watch the progress. Great set of tools those guys have.
I'd love a workshop full of their kit (and a place like that to do it).
It's a really entertaining watch. They clearly know what they're doing and show a great deal of planning has gone into the project (some of the tolerances for squeezing it all in are very tight!).

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
Like LostKiwi I'm waiting for a lottery win so I can get a workshop with all the tools you could ever need.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I can't believe you've only just found this Alistair, I've been following it for ....must be about five years. :p

At least you can binge watch the whole thing, there were some years that we only got one video for the whole year! :(

It's been a fascinating series and the level of craftmanship has been extaordinary, I hope you get as much fun out of it as I have. :D

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't believe you've only just found this Alistair, I've been following it for ....must be about five years. :p

At least you can binge watch the whole thing, there were some years that we only got one video for the whole year! :(

It's been a fascinating series and the level of craftmanship has been extaordinary, I hope you get as much fun out of it as I have. :D
It was something a friend mentioned a few years back but I forgot about. Speaking to him again last week he reminded me again so thought I'd take a look.
YouTube isn't on my normal viewing sources as I tend to stick with movies for entertainment.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was something a friend mentioned a few years back but I forgot about. Speaking to him again last week he reminded me again so thought I'd take a look.
YouTube isn't on my normal viewing sources as I tend to stick with movies for entertainment.

Tbh I tend to do the same, mostly I use it for tutorials however, I stumbled across "Binky" when I was looking for something else and have been hooked ever since down to my love of all things Mini.

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tbh I tend to do the same, mostly I use it for tutorials however, I stumbled across "Binky" when I was looking for something else and have been hooked ever since down to my love of all things Mini.
Minis are brilliant.
I used to have a Cooper S I used for Motorsport.
The How to Modify your Mini book by David Vizard and Mini by Rob Goulding were my bibles. Still have my copy of Mini.
Did all my own work on it and it was pretty much where I learnt.
In 1983 I was mechanic for a guy called Mike Bish who won the last WRC rally championship points for a Mini.
Also built an Endurance race mini and was Pit crew for a guy called Dave Strong in NZ. We came up with a clever modification that converted a standard 5 port head into a 6 port head without adding any material (adding material to the head was banned under regulations).
It was a fantastic way to learn about anything mechanical on a car.
I even converted my competition mini to air suspension and it worked incredibly well.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Minis are brilliant.
I used to have a Cooper S I used for Motorsport.
The How to Modify your Mini book by David Vizard and Mini by Rob Goulding were my bibles. Still have my copy of Mini.
Did all my own work on it and it was pretty much where I learnt.
In 1983 I was mechanic for a guy called Mike Bish who won the last WRC rally championship points for a Mini.
Also built an Endurance race mini and was Pit crew for a guy called Dave Strong in NZ. We came up with a clever modification that converted a standard 5 port head into a 6 port head without adding any material (adding material to the head was banned under regulations).
It was a fantastic way to learn about anything mechanical on a car.
I even converted my competition mini to air suspension and it worked incredibly well.

I know where to come if I ever get another or, if my youngest lad Stuart, ever fulfills his ambition to get and modify one, and he needs a bit of help. :D:D

OP
LostKiwi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know where to come if I ever get another or, if my youngest lad Stuart, ever fulfills his ambition to get and modify one, and he needs a bit of help. :D:D
Used to be a time I could quote all the part numbers and recite all the cam specs for all the competition camshafts!

My own car ran 3 synchro straight cut close ratio gearbox, ported and polished big valve head, 45DCOE Weber carburettor, AEG648 camshaft(with 300 degree duration on inlet and exhaust and 95 degrees overlap - very very lumpy and no power at all below 3000 rpm), heavily machined lightened flywheel and clutch, nitrided crank and forged polished conrods. It was a flyer... I taught my ex wife how to drive in it! Possibly one of the most difficult cars to learn to drive in!

Glad to help out if he does want help ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom