Fault accident should I get repaired or written of

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I will say it is usually pretty easy to spot a repaired car though.

My son runs a body shop. His mantra is that if a customer can spot any repair he's done, then he's failed.
He has an excellent reputation in the area for 'unspottable' repairs, and much of his work comes because of this dictum.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
One of the first questions any buyer should be asking the seller is whether the car has been in any accidents or had any repairs. As the seller you are legally compelled to answer honestly. You don't have to offer the information if not asked.

It is then up to the buyer to decide if the repairs are an acceptable standard and the price one they are willing to pay. If minor and done properly I doubt it would affect the price (at least by much).

There is no right for you to insist the insurer writes it off rather than repair it. It will all depend on the cost of the claim vs the market value of the car.

OP
S

Sham80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c class executive edition
How can I find a proper market value of my car .

OP
S

Sham80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c class executive edition
Mercedes c class executive edition 2018 mileage 11000

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How can I find a proper market value of my car .
Look on autotrader for examples of what is for sale - price asked isn’t always realised though...
There are a number of free valuation sites - vauxhall used to do a free glasses guide (just click on owners area of their website)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
insureres look at upto 70-80% of the car value vis a vis repair costs.

If they are not gonna write it off they will repair it as its cheaper for them. thats part of their business model plain and simple.

properly repaired it will
not be an issue.

So calm down.

Although it seems you want them to pay out and write it off. I don't think thats your call.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Sham 80: If you check you car's value now, through Parkers or better still if you can get someone to check it on Glass's and again after the repair there won't be any noticeable difference apart from the time effect which always brings it down a little.

You are not required to disclose accident history and if you get a good repairer the whole car will be like a shiny new pin so try to relax about it. You might well find it's so nice to have it back all shiny etc that you fall for it all over again! Best of luck!

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
As everyone has already pointed out, the insurance assessor decides if it would be cost effective to repair. If it is, they will repair it. When finished, you should be unable to detect that the car has had any work done. It will not be given a 'Cat' status.

If the assessor decides it would be cheaper to write it off. That's what the insurers will do. You have no influence on that decision. A write-off usually comes with a disappointingly low valuation of your car. In money value, you'll be better off if they decide to repair.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would be intersted on an update on this thread

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom