Feeling ripped off

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
the only way to make "modern" discs last is dont be tearing around the place and then hammering the brakes .

The trouble is if you dont use them the sliders stick and the discs rust across (especially the back face) - so they get you one way or the other.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
MB dealer wanted to change the front discs and pads on mine last year when the car was in for service, because they were "very dangerous" according to the teenage service receptionist. Bargain at £2500. I declined her kind offer on the basis that the car had passed an Mot 2 weeks before by a very strict indie who said that the discs should ideally be cleaned off but were safe and pads had plenty of life left. Also I thought what amounted to £900 for basically an hours labour was indeed taking the michael. Since the children and Ms peterws drive the thing, now replaced the items (not at MB price). Can't be too careful on brakes. I always shudder when people suggest buying cheap make do stuff.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There are so many variables with brake wear - a car driven 60k miles mainly on the motorway can easily be still on the original discs and pads while a car driven 30k miles mainly in town may need them changing. Most of the disc/pad life nowadays tends to be the same I can’t remember the last time I fitted pads only so it suggests to me that since asbestos was removed from pad composition they are harder and consequently wear the discs more. I don’t think this is a bad thing changing both at the same time provides much better braking during the lifetime of the vehicle

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom