Fender bender repair gets expensive..advice sought.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hello all,

My dad has recently been involved in a collision where he rear-ended somebody.

We have taken the car to a reputable, local crash repairs business. The quote of repair has come back quite high, and the repair man reckons the car will get written off.

Car is a W212 facelift, 2014 plate E200 CDI.

Wondering what you guys thing? Sounds like the car will be written off with option to buy it back.

If you guys are curious, I have added pics of the damage and also the quite for paint + parts.

Below that is a summary of the quote for parts + paint. Total parts comes in around €9000.

20230507_115720.jpg 20230507_115710.jpg

20230515_114714.jpg

20230515_114656.jpg

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Ouch!

You would need around £13.5k to replace it, if you were sourcing parts yourself around £2.5k saving, but if you buy back & repair you will end up with a declarable write off on resale lowering it's final value.....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Reactions: DSK

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Bldy crazy. Modern cxap 2k plus for headlights. I paid little over 3k for my w168 over 17yr ago and it's still running.
Buy it back and flog it to breaker. Buy a classic. None of that shxte. No tax no mot 90 quid insurance . Likely increase in value easy cheap to fix get away from being a lemming its just crazy

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Holy moly! From the pictures I’d not have expected that! But, always goes to show the hidden damage that cannot be seen on face value and how quickly the costs begin to rack up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
My mercedes clk320 was stolen, involved in a high speed chase with the Met police then returned to me.

Local police said "we have good news and bad news", "the good news is we recovered your car, the bad news is the Met like a good chase and they reported that your car goes like the clappers!"

When I got it delivered back to my local dealership it was filthy but cosmetically undamaged. The car was immaculate and well looked after before being stolen (guy was carrying a firearm apparently and did time)....

I said to dealership quote for everything that should be replaced if the car has been raced, quote came in over 9k and insurers wrote it off...

In a way I was glad as it probably would not have felt the same to me after and I was able to move on. My mistake was not buying it back from insurers and simply replacing the discs and pads and selling it for a huge profit!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Thanks guys.

Yea tis all a bit mad..

I reckon it's a write off and then buy back / repair.

I don't think my dad would be interested in changing down the road. Simply loves the car. Its pre AdBlue which is great tbh.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Bonnet actuators? I thought that they were resettable.
I think that some of that body work is salvageable. Many big repairers tend to replace new parts when they can be repaired. Bumpers are a case in point. Plastic can be welded and heated to stretch back into shape, it's only really the mounts that need replacing.
My wife once reversed into a lamp post. Insurance repairer quoted £1500, local garage repaired the bumper and boot lid for £250.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Explore other ‘independent’ body shops, tell them you are happy with s/h parts being used - could reduce parts cost?

query the lights- are they broken?

https://www.autocity.co.uk/ - I had some paint done here on the CL500, (bubbles on bottom of doors & roof/rear wing) and you couldn’t see any paint blend, it was perfect, very pleased with them.
I only found them as I was doing a training course a hundred yards away - and popped in, the guy in charge had an SL outside which I noticed.

theres quite a few body shops around Park Royal.

The Romance of Rust is another place I’ve heard good things about.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The car is in Ireland.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Going through the list of parts it makes me think that they're just going for everything. Bonnet badge bracket, bonnet emblem, front bonnet seal - really? Surely they can be reused.

I'd get a second quote from somewhere else and don't state that its insurance.

If the bonnet doesn't look out of shape then I suspect that the pedestrian safety hinges have just released on impact popping up the bonnet near the windscreen. These can be reset (I've a friend who had this safety feature triggered by a football hitting the front of his car as he drove down his street).

Some of the items listed you can't see until the bumper and bodywork is removed, but they will be included in the quote even if not replaced as its extra profit.

That said the decision is whether to get the car repaired or replace it with the insurance money. Have a check to see what it would be worth - find similar a similar specification and age vehicle or two to give you an idea.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
I would want to see it with the bumper removed to see the actual extent of the damage. It sounds to me like they are giving a worst case scenario and running up a huge bill. For example the MB bills lists AC work, does it still work?

Taxi drivers must have minor bumps like that all the time and put the cars back on the road pronto.

This might be ridiculously simple to fix.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom