Fix it days

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Im not sure if this has been tried or is actually happening but as a few of you know I have a jap import FTO and belong to the FTOOC and we have a member with a decent garage with plenty of space and every now and then we have fix it day where if you've bought something you want to fit to your car but don't have the tool's, knowlege or somewhere to do it or have a prob your not sure how to sort then a load of us get together and everyone helps each other out. I just wondered if this was something that might take off here or will it be too much of a headache.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
What a fantastic idea thank you for asking.
I do have minor bodywork issues but not worth a trip to bristol to complete (even if it was warmer) and would take too long.

But a very kind gesture all the same.
I'm sure others also interested nearer to you will make themselves known ;)

sjanisz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150/06/1600
When I lived in the City (Nottingham) A number of us - mainly from the same road formed a 'Tool Pool' which we could all call upon. i.e someone had access to a vehicle lift and decent jacks, I had the funny sized sockets and torque wrenches - someone else had access to tuning / diagnostic gear etc. Worked really well.

SJ

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Fantastic idea...

Another idea that could work is, is there a way of matching people who potentially want to do a bit of work cash in hand for others? I know I have little mechanical knowledge and tools but I'd be happy to pay someone a bit of cash if anything on my car needed doing.

A nice halfway house between the stress of doing it yourself and paying garage rates.

With the recession and unemployment there must be plenty out there who have time/skills/tools and could do with some extra cash...and plenty more who want to reduce their maintenance bills...what do people think?

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
Sounds a good idea to me. I can do most things and have a pretty comprehensive tool kit with more than the average DIYer. However no 2 poster, pit or tyre machine. ;)

I think we would need to split up into regions though, as it probably isn't worth driving more than about 25 miles for something like this.

Only thing I have discovered in the past though is when I have had a mate come over to "help" less tends to get done than when I am working alone......as I tend to spend more time chatting, drinking coffee etc. :lol:

Another idea, partly mentioned above is a tool and skill pool for the region. We could also possibly look at buying fluids in bulk. Such as ATF, engine oil, coolant, screen wash. For example, I recently scored 4 x 25ltr drums of screenwash from eBay for £25! I know you can get Mobil ATF 134 in 20 litre drums and it works out around £7 a litre.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I have always made it clear that if anyone near me wants to use my STAR they are welcome to. I also have a inspection camera with the lens on the end of a 2 foot pencil thick cable

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
Fantastic idea, I'm willing to lend a hand to anyone who needs it, within a reasonable distance.

OP
taxii

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
I def think the splitting up into regions is a fab idea. We then have a pool of knowledge and hopefully someone with a decent size garage and make a day of it. Its also a good place if people have bits to sell if they've broken a car or changed for other parts. Say someone has bought a set of lights off another member and they arrange to meet up at a fix it day then they could bring the lights with them and fit them and everyones happy. As Miffy said there's a Star that people can use to check for fault codes or reset the fault settings. Plus it's a good way for members to get to know each other and help out if and when poss.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I like the idea

and all the posts, but the main thing i like is to see that altruism is well and alive, even in today's me me me, now now now world.

Keep up with the positive waves gang.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
A great idea, are there any Merc owners interested in the Bournemouth/Poole/ Wimborne/Ferndown Area that also may be interested .
I will continue to use either MBS or Startech for any complex issues.
Best regards
BAZZER1

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom