Flashing blue light in your rear view mirror

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Appreciate your point but if a police car is behind you and the driver is going mental at you to get out of the way then it would be unfortunate if that couldn't be described as being directed to get out of the way. It's a bit daft because of all the emergency services the police are least likley to be going to a life or death situation.
They can go wrong side and through the lights that way. I doubt they’d pay your insurance if you got T-boned for moving through the Red light… :confused:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Various emergency services have put out videos & animated clips recently about just this. I've seen a few appear on Twitter et al, and basically pull over if safe to do so (and you're not forcing them to enter opposite carriageway on blind bends, etc); if no sensible place to do so, continue on at safe, legal, speed until such time as you can pull over and/or they can pass safely (at which time you may choose to lift off the throttle to help them expedite).

Can't remember them covering the red light scenario though...!

Edit: And I've just seen BC has posted such a thing!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
They can go wrong side and through the lights that way. I doubt they’d pay your insurance if you got T-boned for moving through the Red light… :confused:

Mostly you can clear the line without entering the junction - going out into the crossing traffice flow would be bonkers. In my whole driving life I've only had it happen once and that was for an ambulance - at a complex junction where traffic was joining from the right some way ahead, absolutely no safety issue at all.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
@sonic A bit of a daft question really but what is expected of you when you get a flashing blue light in your rear view mirror assuming it is not you they are pulling over. I never know what the correct reaction should be. Should I pull over and stop, should I pull over and slow down, should I continue to drive normally.

I am obviously aware that I should cause as little hindrance to the police car/ambulance/fire engine's progress as I possibly can. Personally I usually pull over and slow down, but what is the prefered action for a motorist to take by the emergency services ? :rolleyes:
Try & cause the least about of inconvenience to the police vehicle, generally pulling in & slowing down is all that is needed.
It is an offence to cross the white line at traffic lights on red to give access to police vehicles.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I find it it confuses many depending on how the situation at the time. Usually, when I hear it, I keep watching to see how quick they are gaining, what the surrounding conditions are etc. I don't like to stop if they are pressing on but, rather just keep back right off and signal left to show acknowledgement and slow to allow them to pass.

On motorways I've had people totally unaware, keep changing their speeds and with no safe gap, I've just nailed it past a bunch of traffic and then pulled in with no issues.

Overall as many tend to react differently and sometimes without realising cause more chaos rather than help, I just tend to make my own call based on the circumstances.

I've always moved out of the way of ambulances at traffic lights (thankfully without a ticket) as I recall when I have had to call them a few times for heart attacks within the family they were there in remarkable 3 minutes and 2 family members were luckily saved without issue due the speed of response. When I see an ambulance now, I just think, those seconds could mean life and death.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had 3 cars side by side one in each lane all doing 70MPH, the guy in lane 3 afraid to exceed the speed limit.
If we are on a blue light run we don't mind you speeding up to clear the road for us. But we cant get you off a fixed speed camera ticket.

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
I remember when the (legal, cough!) speed limit for lgv's was 40 on A roads, flooring it up the A26 at 56(my max) in the twisty bits with double white lines just to get to a straight bit where it was safe to let the ambulance past.

PS it always amazes me when people see the ambulance etc approaching from the other direction on a straight clear road they slow down!! why??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
PS it always amazes me when people see the ambulance etc approaching from the other direction on a straight clear road they slow down!! why??
Rabbits in the headlights is what they are

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I like to follow them once passed as they create a nice opening in the traffic :):):)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
it always amazes me when people see the ambulance etc approaching from the other direction on a straight clear road they slow down!! why??
Yes this applies to any of the emergency services and allways baffles me...and is very annoying when I'm behind them and forced to slow down also.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Get out of the way, safely and legally.

For example, you’re stopped at red traffic lights with a traffic light camera. Blue lights come up behind you, if you choose to move forward on red then you have committed an offence and the camera will issue you a ticket. Your defence that you were moving out of the way for a Ambulance / Police Car / Fire Engine isn’t a valid reason to break the law.
I had this a few months ago. The policeman in the front was effing and blinding and aggressively gesturing me to get out of the way. My wife was shouting at me to move out of the way. I was at the front of the queue at red lights with a traffic camera, and there was no way I was risking a fine and breaking the law for that. Amazing that 'in the situation' even the Police expect you to break the law for their convenience.

Ring road in Nottingham BTW

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I had this a few months ago. The policeman in the front was effing and blinding and aggressively gesturing me to get out of the way. My wife was shouting at me to move out of the way. I was at the front of the queue at red lights with a traffic camera, and there was no way I was risking a fine and breaking the law for that. Amazing that 'in the situation' even the Police expect you to break the law for their convenience.

Ring road in Nottingham BTW
Ahhhh nottingham ring road, was it by Mc Donalds at Basford. Then again the ring road is full of red light cameras. We all know at least one person thats been done either for jumping a light or the average speed cameras.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
That is a handy video. Problem is trying to remember all that :oops:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Are people seriously saying that if a fire engine or ambulance (that are needed to save someone's life) was behind you at a red light you wouldn't go through it to let it pass??"!! It's just totally normal here to do that, and used to be in the UK (checkign the traffic has stopped for the emrgency vehicle of course). Unless it's an actual red light camera junction you really arent going to get fines (even if a police man saw it, in context im sure they arent actually going to write a ticket, are they?). And with the red light camera I'm sure the fact the emergency vehicle also went through it 2 seconds later would be enough for them to let it go.

Really shows a problem with society when petty beuracracy/fear of one's infinitissemely small chance of getting some points gets in the way of emergency vehicles.

Reminds me of an incident here where a car was parked illegally/irresponsibly (occurs everywhere in Spain) and the fire engine couldnt pass so just forced it out the way. A witness told the owner of the parked car what had happened so he contacted the authorities thinking they'd pay for the damage to the car and instead they billed him for repainting the fire truck bumper :). No doubt in the UK the people would still be stuck in the burning building while the fire truck waited in the street.

OP
A.J.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Are people seriously saying that if a fire engine or ambulance (that are needed to save someone's life) was behind you at a red light you wouldn't go through it to let it pass??"!! It's just totally normal here to do that, and used to be in the UK (checkign the traffic has stopped for the emrgency vehicle of course). Unless it's an actual red light camera junction you really arent going to get fines (even if a police man saw it, in context im sure they arent actually going to write a ticket, are they?). And with the red light camera I'm sure the fact the emergency vehicle also went through it 2 seconds later would be enough for them to let it go.

Really shows a problem with society when petty beuracracy/fear of one's infinitissemely small chance of getting some points gets in the way of emergency vehicles.

Reminds me of an incident here where a car was parked illegally/irresponsibly (occurs everywhere in Spain) and the fire engine couldnt pass so just forced it out the way. A witness told the owner of the parked car what had happened so he contacted the authorities thinking they'd pay for the damage to the car and instead they billed him for repainting the fire truck bumper :). No doubt in the UK the people would still be stuck in the burning building while the fire truck waited in the street.

What a shame they don't do that here, it would make people park more responsibly I am sure. My Granddaughter lives in the bottom of a close. The people who live in the entrance to the close park anywhere and anyhow making the entrance of the close very difficult to pass. :(

She has knocked on their door and explained that she is on call at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital for people who have Cardiac arrests and would need easy passage out of the Close, any delay getting through could cost someone their life. I think they parked sensibly for a couple of nights and now she is back to maybe not getting through. I wonder how they would feel if it was one of their kin waiting for her help :rolleyes::(

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Unless it's an actual red light camera junction you really arent going to get fines (even if a police man saw it, in context im sure they arent actually going to write a ticket, are they?). And with the red light camera I'm sure the fact the emergency vehicle also went through it 2 seconds later would be enough for them to let it go.

Two things here:
- It relies on you knowing 100% that there is not a red light camera. In the heat of the moment, seeing a traffic light camera obviously confirms there is one. Looking quickly around and not seeing one doesn't mean there isn't one (particularly on a junction you are unfamiliar with), it just means you haven't seen one.
- This is not an infinitissemely small chance; if you get sniped by a camera, you will be done! As said by I think a UK Police person in this thread, they wouldn't write you a ticket in person as you are obviously helping, but if you got caught by an enforcement camera (speeding/bus lane/red light) then as they said, you are on your own. You will have to pay a fine and probably get points. Then there is the 5 year knock on to insurance premiums.

Don't blame people for being strongly incentivised to comply with the law in this situation due to rigid and inflexible legislation. It should be the Senior Police/Government/law makers who correct this, but I would imagine no one at that level can really be bothered with it because, like always, what's in it for them personally if they put their neck on the line to sort this? A promotion? A pay rise? I doubt it so it will be left. It should be the case as you say, where there is obvious evidence that you have moved safely to make way for emergency services then you should be 'let off', but as stated it can actually be at the total opposite end of that spectrum and you could easily be punished to the tune over some serious ££££ over the next 5 years as a result of your good deed.

If I was in a local area, well known to me and I was sure there was no camera to snipe my 'law breaking', then I would consider moving if I could be sure of doing so safely. But if I'm unsure or unfamiliar with the area, then I'm not risking it. I'm in charge of my (potentially dangerous) vehicle, and therefore it is my responsibility as the driver to always put safety first.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Yes in the UK there are instances where drivers have crossed the line at a red light to make way for an ambulance or Police car and got done, so the chance is not infinitesimally small, and no you won't always get let off. That's how petty it's become.

The other side of the coin is the dangerous driving and ludicrous speeds I regularly witness in my area by police and ambulance drivers on very busy roads. One very recent example I nearly came a cropper on was an ambulance driver on the wrong side of the road on a nearly 45 degree blind bend whilst straightening her hair. Only just managed to avoid her. Police cars flying through red lights with no chance of seeing what's crossing the junction are also a common sight. And no I don't accept the " if you were waiting for an emergency service you'd want them to get there super quick" argument - not if the crew are putting their own lives and those of other road users at risk to shave seconds off their journey time, I wouldn't.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Two things here:
- It relies on you knowing 100% that there is not a red light camera. In the heat of the moment, seeing a traffic light camera obviously confirms there is one. Looking quickly around and not seeing one doesn't mean there isn't one (particularly on a junction you are unfamiliar with), it just means you haven't seen one.
- This is not an infinitissemely small chance; if you get sniped by a camera, you will be done! As said by I think a UK Police person in this thread, they wouldn't write you a ticket in person as you are obviously helping, but if you got caught by an enforcement camera (speeding/bus lane/red light) then as they said, you are on your own. You will have to pay a fine and probably get points. Then there is the 5 year knock on to insurance premiums.

Don't blame people for being strongly incentivised to comply with the law in this situation due to rigid and inflexible legislation. It should be the Senior Police/Government/law makers who correct this, but I would imagine no one at that level can really be bothered with it because, like always, what's in it for them personally if they put their neck on the line to sort this? A promotion? A pay rise? I doubt it so it will be left. It should be the case as you say, where there is obvious evidence that you have moved safely to make way for emergency services then you should be 'let off', but as stated it can actually be at the total opposite end of that spectrum and you could easily be punished to the tune over some serious ££££ over the next 5 years as a result of your good deed.

If I was in a local area, well known to me and I was sure there was no camera to snipe my 'law breaking', then I would consider moving if I could be sure of doing so safely. But if I'm unsure or unfamiliar with the area, then I'm not risking it. I'm in charge of my (potentially dangerous) vehicle, and therefore it is my responsibility as the driver to always put safety first.
Sadly you will get done, & people have been done if its a fixed camera. The only exception is if you are directed by a police officer in uniform, & he would have to be out of his car. Police Officers know their patch & know where there are problems at particular junctions. They don't like it but they have to wait.

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Sadly you will get done, & people have been done if its a fixed camera. The only exception is if you are directed by a police officer in uniform, & he would have to be out of his car. Police Officers know their patch & know where there are problems at particular junctions. They don't like it but they have to wait.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that emergency services cross red lights or double white lines at their own risk .if I remember correctly a fire engine jumped the the lights and whilst not involved in accident did cause one and driver got prosecuted. On a funny side of that I saw a very stroppy lollipop man actually stop a fire engine to let children cross the road .He saw the fire engine coming and stepped out and stopped it .The guys in engine were furious but he stood his ground .Personally I try like most to get out of the way as one day might be on way to me !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I seem to remember reading somewhere that emergency services cross red lights or double white lines at their own risk .if I remember correctly a fire engine jumped the the lights and whilst not involved in accident did cause one and driver got prosecuted. On a funny side of that I saw a very stroppy lollipop man actually stop a fire engine to let children cross the road .He saw the fire engine coming and stepped out and stopped it .The guys in engine were furious but he stood his ground .Personally I try like most to get out of the way as one day might be on way to me !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Police used to (may well still do) make radio call in to control if they'd gone past a speed camera of red light camera so there was a record on the system of the event when the pictures arrive on the inspectors desk...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom