Flooded W211 estate tailgate

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280D Avantgarde Estate W211
About 3 years ago I managed to cure a long-standing problem of water finding its way into and settling in the spare wheel well. I cured this totally by removing the main perimeter rubber seal, thoroughly cleaning it, and the steel flange it fits onto, and then fully bedding the rubber seal with Sikaflex rubber compound. Job done!

My W211 is currently SORNed and consequently is unused on my driveway but with a maintenance charger plugged in to maintain the main battery. I check this monthly, start the car and move a few feet and back to prevent brake-binding etc.

When attending to the above I have noticed that water is accumulating in the 'body' of the tailgate, thankfully but somewhat mysteriously this ISN'T finding its way into the spare wheel well, thereby 'undoing' my previous success.

Has anyone any knowledge of how this new (?) water ingress problem is happening and how I might effect a cure?

Thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_141608.jpg
    IMG_20210226_141608.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12

merc85

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi
Could it be fiding its way in behind the Star on the tailgate?

OP
ptruswell

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could it be fiding its way in behind the Star on the tailgate?
No idea. It baffles me how common this sort of thing is. Too many bells and whistles and not enough attention to the basics - like keeping the water out! (I'm having a shout at Merc here)

OP
ptruswell

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I know what this is. Sort of obvious really although it's taken an alert on the dashboard for me to wake up to the possibility...

I think it's a dodgy junction or a split in what I assume is plastic small bore pipework to the rear washer. I speculate because as yet I haven't removed any tailgate panels to have a look.

The dashboard alert was 'top up washer fluid'. This coinciding with the apparent drying up of the water coming out of the tailgate. I've topped up the washer reservoir full today so I'll keep an eye on the tailgate, fully expecting the deluge to resume and thereby confirming my next action: to disassemble the tailgate.

Seems to me that tailgates are an Achilles heel of estate cars - I think I've ended up pulling it apart on every estate I've owned!

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
I had similar was coming from rear wash/wipe. The fitting was leaking into estate tailgate space. Carpet on lower half of tailgate was soaked. Fixed with new fitting to wiper motor and stiff thin blue plastic tubing.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
The colour and smell of this water would also confirm that it is not rain water.

Top Bottom