Four Tyres Replaced Under Recall

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
A strange thing happened today. Mrs L's Mini Cooper went in for its first service (two years old, around 10k miles). I knew there was also a software update to do but, when I handed over the car, they told me there was also a recall for the tyres and they may have to be replaced. The outcome is that the original four Hankook tyres, that had done just under 10k miles, have been replaced by Mini, free of charge, with a new set of Michelins.

All the dealer would say was that Mini were unhappy with Hankook and, therefore, have replaced the tyres. I can’t find anything online about this other than a story about Hyundai replacing Hankook tyres on some of its US models. It must be a fairly recent matter because the Service Manager said this was the first set they have replaced.

The other bonus of the day was that the courtesy car was a very nice, 20 plate, Cooper convertible which was ideal in today’s lovely weather.

F9680973-CB4B-4395-9139-1A42F9E4B536.jpeg

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
A strange thing happened today. Mrs L's Mini Cooper went in for its first service (two years old, around 10k miles). I knew there was also a software update to do but, when I handed over the car, they told me there was also a recall for the tyres and they may have to be replaced. The outcome is that the original four Hankook tyres, that had done just under 10k miles, have been replaced by Mini, free of charge, with a new set of Michelins.

All the dealer would say was that Mini were unhappy with Hankook and, therefore, have replaced the tyres. I can’t find anything online about this other than a story about Hyundai replacing Hankook tyres on some of its US models. It must be a fairly recent matter because the Service Manager said this was the first set they have replaced.

The other bonus of the day was that the courtesy car was a very nice, 20 plate, Cooper convertible which was ideal in today’s lovely weather.

View attachment 60422

That's interesting, whilst I was looking for a W205 I was half heartedly looking at the A200 as well, prompted by my wife as she thought that an A Class was the right size car for us. As you saw I obeyed her to the 'T' and bought the W205 :rolleyes:

Anyway what I am getting around to is that a very large proportion of A's where shod with Hankook tyres and quite frankly that was one of the things that put me off apart from the fact I didn't really want an 'A'. :(

It will be interesting to see if there is a reaction from MB regarding Hankook, I await with baited breath :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just checked. MrsLK's Mini - Michelins. No free tyres for us... :(

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Just checked. MrsLK's Mini - Michelins. No free tyres for us... :(

I worked for over 40 years in the Vehicle Contract Hire industry and the company I worked for who were for a time the third largest in the UK always insisted that any vehicle, whether it be a car, van or truck was shod with Michelin. Hard wearing attributes were the driver of that policy :)

OP
Srdl

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I quizzed the Service Advisor when I picked up the car and he looked up the details. Apparently, the tyres “may not” meet their certified rolling resistance figures so the Certificate of Conformity may be inaccurate. In other words, someone might have been telling porkies about the efficiency of the tyres so the quoted CO2 figures may be wrong. Sounds like they are trying to head of another group litigation claim but I’m looking forward to getting another 10mpg out of these new tyres :rolleyes:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom