Front and rear bumper primer

Duchatelet

Reaction score
The paintwork on the front and rear colour coded bumpers is peeling and I want to respray them, I have found the aerosol spray for the job (almandine red metallic) but I'm unsure of what primer to use as both bumpers are made of plastic. Could some one point me in the right direction?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What is the car please that you are working on

OP
D

Duchatelet

Reaction score
Hi, the car is a 1991 W124 300E Carat Duchatelet 4 door saloon.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Having been there and done it there are plastic primers out there, not sure if they come in aerosol tins. the other thing when new there was a plastersizer added to the paint at 10% ratio, plus there was also a matting agent mixed in as to a ratio of 10%.

Now all of these things are impossible to do without the correct 2 component paint and a spray plant, so what do you do.

First using any red paint any primer must be brown and not the grey, a good paint trade supplier should be able to supply some in a aerosol for you.

The paint that you have, the red could be just a base coat, have you checked for that is fine, but it will need a top clear coat. If this is the case do not try and polish it too much when dry for it should be slightly mat in appearance.

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Do not use Halfords primers they just wont do it, find a local paint shop supplier and get a brand called Mirka or buy from ebay

OP
D

Duchatelet

Reaction score
Hi Benzworx, I bought the paint as a set (Genuine Mercedes-Benz Metallic spray paint (150ml) & lacquer (150ml). Mercedes-Benz - Almandine-Red - 512U) and it includes the finish coat and the lacquer.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Can you post a pic of your peeling bumpers.. I would suggest your peeling is caused by someone repainting the bumpers and using cheaper and dubious materials ..also many ppl use a rapid drying accelerator which makes the lacquer roch hard and it cracks and peels...
If you have not gone down to the plastic when flatting down, a quality primer will suffice .. plastic primer can be bought in aerosol from any good motor factors .. it does no harm to coat the sanded areas with plastic primer.. and then prime over with a decent undercoat.. .. the amount of paint you have won't cover 2 bumpers

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom