Frustrated A210 rattle!

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
My wife's A210 makes a rattling noise when on the road.
I suspected anti-roll bar drop links & although these had a small amount of play, they wern't actually that bad - but i replaced them anyway.
The rattling was still there.
So, the tech's at work put the car up on the ramp & went through the entire suspension, examining & checking all mountings & bushes.
They couldn't find any cause of the rattle - nor any loose mountings or worn bushes anywhere.

Now, the car handles great, steers perfectly & tracks fine & while the suspension is a little harsh, (normal on the A210) it all functions perfectly.
Theres no play in the steering or knocks on the column.

My question is, are there any areas of trim that the rattle could be coming from? The floor of the car is covered by a plastic tray. Could it be this? Has anyone had any rattles from the trim or underbonnet components?
Im getting frustrated, as it really doesnt seem to be steering or suspension related.

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Is the rattle definitely from the front of the car? Does it rattle constantly or over bumps?

A few suggestions based on experience with my A160..

Front pads rattling within the calipers? Bonnet grille loose? Engine air intake rattling in slam panel? Stones/debris on underbody panels? Stones lodged between exhaust and chrome tailpipe trim? Worn front anti roll bar bushes?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If it's an estate the only trim rattle I've had has been the folding rear seat catches not locking properly, they need to be checked when you put the seat back-up that they have caught.

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
As said, we are unable to detect any wear or play in any of the suspension joints or pivots, including the anti-roll bar bushes.

Certainly not a brake caliper rattle.

Oh well, will just tell her to turn the radio up a bit louder so she cant hear it . . . :neutral:

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Sorry, but it is difficult to diagnose something like this without having the car in front of you. Actually, I spent 18 months as a quality tester at a local garage and spent considerable amounts of time tracing the source of all manner of rattles and squeaks on a variety of vehicles.

A suspension joint can be noisy and yet have no discernable free play. Anti roll bar drop links are a good example of this.

Some rattles are easily fixed, others can take days to find and then rectify. Perhaps if you could give some more info then someone on here may well have the answer..

Last edited:

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
......Oh well, will just tell her to turn the radio up a bit louder so she cant hear it . . . :neutral:
Hi
Is the electric pump for the steering sitting firmly ?

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
The problem is that its hard to give info when i cant find owt wrong.
I replaced the drop links & its the same.

Theres no feeling of it through the steering wheel like you can when its steering or suspension based which is why i was suspecting that it may be something loose - such as that power steering pump mattkh mentioned.

I will check that, bit im thinking its is just something loose, so will have to start pulling stuff off to see if i can find it.

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Has this problem on our W169. Took the ting apart from the inside out looking for the rattle, being convinced it was the toolkit, something in a door pocket, etc etc.

Turned out to be a shock absorber.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
The 168 was prone to play in the spline in the steering column (under bonnet), does not really give much play at the wheel,but makes a hell of a rattling noise...
Also seen on odd occasions in the past, water gets into the sealed steering column double universal joints, giving play and noise.

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Sorted.

It was the two fasteners that hold the bottom of the front "bumper"/front valance on that had come loose & dropped out & the whole thing was rattling about whilst hanging on by just the top securing bolts!
You could shake the whole bumper about, by grabbing it at the bottom, fog lights an all.

Glad it didn't fall off completely!

It is now securely fastened & all is quiet again. . . :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom