Fuel Consumption

S

Steve Halliday

Hi

Just bought a E300TD 1998R Estate Auto 98K on the clock, and am dissapointed with the economy.

Can anyone advise please as to what I should get, I drive sensibly and criuse at 80 mph.

My recent tank to tank consumption driving economically was 27 mpg and I was trying.

Any Figures would be appreciated.

Thanks

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hi

Just bought a E300TD 1998R Estate Auto 98K on the clock, and am dissapointed with the economy.

Can anyone advise please as to what I should get, I drive sensibly and criuse at 80 mph.

My recent tank to tank consumption driving economically was 27 mpg and I was trying.

Any Figures would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think you need to separate round town from long runs. Makes a big difference. I get 27 to 29 on local pottering in traffic etc, but get 36 or 37 on a long run with motorways etc.

OP
S

Steve Halliday

I think you need to separate round town from long runs. Makes a big difference. I get 27 to 29 on local pottering in traffic etc, but get 36 or 37 on a long run with motorways etc.

Thanks for the reply,

There is something wrong then with this car as 27mpg is mostly motorway speeds and it does go into 5th gear, maybe the technical boys can help.

Ive done the tyres and checked the brakes for dragging no fault found.

Regards steve

haz

New Registration
Reaction score
apologies if its not much help, but i have E220 cdi 2001, n i find cruising at 65mph gives me around 45-50 mpg dependant on distance

Hibbo

Reaction score
Does it leave plumes of black smoke?

When was the air filter last changed?

Is there a fuel leak somewhere?

Does the EGR valve actuate? (Watch the arm on it as someone revs the engine)

The turbocharged om606 engine is still a simple beast really, even though the IP is electronically controlled, there's not much that can cause it to be thirsty. The only real reason is lack of air for a given amount of fuel, this will show itself as black smoke.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
A very common problem is fuel leaking around the fuel filter area, specifically from the ends of the fuel pipes that connect to the injector pump.

Theres a very simple test, just put your fingers under these lines, and the injector pump, have a good feel around the area. If your fingers come back wet with diesel, you have a leak.

Another one is fuel leaking from the diesel return line that hops from injector to injector at the top of the engine. Remove the black plastic cover, its a braided cotton style line. If the injector holes are swimming in diesel, replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

I have a car similar to yours and would keep a tight eye on fuel, there is a 3-4 mpg difference between winter and summer usually better in the warmer months for some reason. Cruising at 60 on the motorway should get you 36mpg in the summer if you go up to 80 that will drop to 31 or so.
Also wheel size makes a difference going from 17" to 18" will take 2 or 3 mpg away.
As others have said air filter, synthetic oil, tyre pressures at higher settings, make sure wheel alignment is good and keep the speed down they eat fuel when your over 70. On a France trip last year roofbox etc all she would do was 26-28 mpg cruising at 130kph or 83mph but when i done the Dover to Stranraer run sitting at 56mph she managed 36mpg that was even with the roof box on.
Dont believe what people tell you a 300 turbodiesel estate will NOT get 40 mpg, saloons might but not estates unless going to 16" wheels makes them do it. I have tried with 17" wheels and just cant achieve it.

Good Luck

Hibbo

Reaction score
Hi

I have a car similar to yours and would keep a tight eye on fuel, there is a 3-4 mpg difference between winter and summer usually better in the warmer months for some reason. Cruising at 60 on the motorway should get you 36mpg in the summer if you go up to 80 that will drop to 31 or so.
Also wheel size makes a difference going from 17" to 18" will take 2 or 3 mpg away.
As others have said air filter, synthetic oil, tyre pressures at higher settings, make sure wheel alignment is good and keep the speed down they eat fuel when your over 70. On a France trip last year roofbox etc all she would do was 26-28 mpg cruising at 130kph or 83mph but when i done the Dover to Stranraer run sitting at 56mph she managed 36mpg that was even with the roof box on.
Dont believe what people tell you a 300 turbodiesel estate will NOT get 40 mpg, saloons might but not estates unless going to 16" wheels makes them do it. I have tried with 17" wheels and just cant achieve it.

Good Luck

Just a point about wheel sizes, are you sure that the affect on MPG isn't due to the odo (and thus your calcs) being out if you're on a different rolling radius?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just a point about wheel sizes, are you sure that the affect on MPG isn't due to the odo (and thus your calcs) being out if you're on a different rolling radius?

With a larger diameter wheel the rolling size is the same as you always use a lower profile tyre, so this would not be the cause.

malcolm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
HI

Yes the wheels have the correct lower profile tyres for the correct rolling radius.
Just out of interest check the emmissions on some cars they change depending what wheels are fitted, remember seeing it might have been when speccing (dreaming) up a new MB.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
HI

Yes the wheels have the correct lower profile tyres for the correct rolling radius.
Just out of interest check the emmissions on some cars they change depending what wheels are fitted, remember seeing it might have been when speccing (dreaming) up a new MB.

You are correct as MB website reveals. Different wheels and tyres give different CO2 because wide, low profile tyres have a greater rolling resistance (use more fuel). On some cars bigger wheels can tip you over from one vehicle tax band to a higher one. Worth watching out for!

Hibbo

Reaction score
With a larger diameter wheel the rolling size is the same as you always use a lower profile tyre, so this would not be the cause.

malcolm

That's what I thought, but couldn't understand how MPG could be affected if that was the case. But as hawk has now pointed out, it's due to the wider tyres that normally accompany bigger wheels.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cant believe that the wider tyres make that much difference, the figures quoted for my car are the same with either set of wheels.

Malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I cant believe that the wider tyres make that much difference, the figures quoted for my car are the same with either set of wheels.

Malcolm

If you check on the MB website there are some sets that make a difference and on some threads folk have mentioned their annoyance at finding the choice of optional wheels has pushed them up a band in the CO2 ratings. You have to be close to the margin for this to happen.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom