Fuel consumption

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi there , I'm a new merc owner having purchased a C220 CDI with auto box in Nov 2004 ( moved up from a BMW ). No complaints about the fit and finish but was just wondering if anyone out there with the latest diesel engine ( euro 4 emissions or something like that ) can get anywhere near the fuel consumption given in the sales literature or handbook.

Yes , I hear the shout, if you can afford a new merc what are you complaining about - well I do a high mileage and I am 10 miles to the gallon different and that is compared to the combined figure. Most of my miles are motorway so its even worse. Apparently the new diesel has a particle filter fitted which in turn takes more fuel , about 0.5l/100km.
:confused:

hazgreen

cruicky68

Reaction score
I've got the C220 CDI on a 04 plate, what are your figures? According to the computer I'm averaging 40+mpg on mainly A roads very seldom on motorways. The only time I've done a good motorway journey I was getting 48 mpg. Then again I don't drive at a constant 56mph more like 80-85. I've also double checked the computer on pen and paper to get very close results. I did notice turning the air/con off increased the mpg.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi,
can't comment on your model, but mine almost exactly matches the quoted figures and often exceeds them (with the aircon off). And don't worry, mine was new once too, and I still watched the fuel consumption! Then with a petrol V6, that is a depressing passtime. I get between 29 and 37 out of my uneconomical E240 on my 100 mile motorway daily commute, which involves climbing up over the pennines and down the other side, dependant on traffic, speed and aircon so I would have expected drastically more from yours.
Please quote what you are getting and we can comment further.

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi , Cruicky68 and jberks

Thanks for the replies, I average 31/32 per gallon , handook says 41 for combined .
Even tried a test on the motorway , did a 100 mile round trip at 55mph, no aircon , crusie control set and eventualy managed to get the reading up to 41 - what a boring couple of hours that was. BUT this should be in the 50's. Have talked with the dealer and they say that they have a service notice indicating that the latest figures are not reachable due to the new EU4 engines soot particle filter ( this takes, they say, 0.5litres / 100 km) and you need to drive the car hard to burn of the soot on the filter. Got mine in Nov 2004 and the new diesels were just coming through then, so is yours EU4 or 3 compliant.
I don't do any town driving , trip to the office is 10m each way on country roads, rest of the time its motorways. Car goes in next week for a few days so that they can do some tests. - will keep you posted.
Car has 4500 miles on and consumption has not improved one bit, I also manually check mileage every tank fill and it agrees with the car computer so no leaks .

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If you get 41 driving like that, it's basically saying the E220 isn't viable. I can get close to that (37) with an E240 which is generally regarded as the least economical E class this side of a V8. The 220CDI should be the most economical. My average is 31 and that's running 75-90+ on very hilly terrain for 30 miles and a fair bit of stop-start for another 10 miles at each end. Admittedly, pure stop start and it can fall to mid teens but even so.
The .5l/100km wouldn't account for that either. I average 27-31 (mainly city driving) out of a Jeep 2.5 CDI and there really shouldn't be any comparison.
Anyone out there with an E220CDI for comparison?

mike_avfc

Reaction score
i've got a 05 plate c220 cdi

I've done about 1100 in it so far and overall it's averaged 35.8 mpg - on motorway trips it generally does 41.8 - 42 mpg.

I do use the climate control though so i know this has an effect but not sure how much

andrew_eales

Reaction score
220cdi

Hi

I have a 51 plate manual. It does average 46mpg mixed (500 miles to a fill up) not as good as an Audi I had but it is a heavy car.

Does it have a sports option on the Box, that may be on??

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi Mike ,

Your average is better than mine from new , hopefully tests next week may highlight something. Don't believe it's my driving style , could hit 45mpg in the BMW 320D no problem and I didn't hang about in that one.

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi Andrew

Auto box has two settings , S for standard and C for comfort ( pulls away in 2nd and alters the gear shift point ??? - really technical explanation) . Only use S except in snow . it does have the lowered suspension and wider back tyres with the Evolution package. Also had an Audi A3 diesel - great little car.

mike_avfc

Reaction score
That's interesting - my dealer told me to use C unless i absolutely needed S - does anyone else use C constantly ???? or should i always use S ???

confused :confused:

cruicky68

Reaction score
I was told to use C for everyday driving and only use S for showing off. I think we have found your problem regarding fuel consumption. Try using the C for few days and see what you get MPG.

cruicky68

Reaction score
Had a run out today. Covered 50 miles on A77, road was reasonably quiet. According to my computer, average speed was 44mph consumption was 38.9 mpg.

Mike J

Reaction score
hi There
I have read this thread with interest, I have a 2000 E220 CDI that never returns a consumption of less than 39mpg when used as a shoping trolley or dads taxis and when put to the correct use of long haul pleasure criuses at a speed slightly more than PC plod would like IE 80/90MPH routinely returns 48mpg both these figures are with the AC on and the music blaring (arnt Kids great)
Mike J

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
My dad has a 03 and he reckons high 40s on long journey, and 40ish for mixed.

HOW ARE YOU CALCULATING IT?

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi all ,
Sorry but just got back , have read all your comments and was a bit concerned over the S and C settings . So have re-read the handbook and S is for all normal driving conditions, C is for comfort and slippery surfaces ( dealer told me it basically pulled away in 2nd ). This model has two dashboard readouts " after start" and " after reset " . I reset both + trip odometer every refill. The after start gives actual mpg on the move and after reset gives an average - I also manually check against the odometer every refill and it agrees with the average figure. Anyway this is trying to tell you'se guys how to suck eggs - what the hell am I doing wrong . Test drove a new model BMW 320D yesterday ( 116 miles on the clock ) and it knocked spots of my Merc's consumption ( got 43 mpg and I was not hanging around - you don't on a test drive do you ).
Won't get the chance to try the C setting, car goes in tomorrow morning for tests. Hopefully they will find something wrong and its not the nut behind the wheel.

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got the car back tonight and they have found a problem with the fuel pressure so they are going to fit a new pump. May take a couple of weeks to get one in , glad its not my driving anyway.

Thanks for all the advice / comments.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
320cdi gets to 40-41 on long runs on motorway. Average is about 33.5mpg but I drive fairly easily. Hard to get it below 30 unless in town all the time. Tyre pressures are important too, need to make sure they are not below recommended levels. I like them up around 38 [225/55/16 Pirelli P6000]. Tyres do make a difference as does running aircon.

sat1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a c220 cdi coupe 2004 auto, my fuel consumption is poor, around 32-33mpg.It has been in the garage four times, the last visit was for two weeks!

They have found nothing wrong when they connect there computer but have changed various parts (air mass sensor and two other valves).

When your engine revs between 3,250 and about 4,000rpm does it sound noisey?

Also when you first start it up on a cold morning is it very hard to get the car to pull away for the first couple of minutes.

The dealer said all the new engines with the particle filter on do this, but i'm not sure, what is yours like?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
hazgreen said:
Hi all ,
Sorry but just got back , have read all your comments and was a bit concerned over the S and C settings . So have re-read the handbook and S is for all normal driving conditions, C is for comfort and slippery surfaces ( dealer told me it basically pulled away in 2nd ). This model has two dashboard readouts " after start" and " after reset " .
hazgreen said:
So its just like the S (standard) and E (economy) on the older mercs then.

Stu

OP
H

hazgreen

Reaction score
Hi Sat1

My car has been back twice now for this consumption problem and after talking to the service manager again today at the dealers the fuel pump replacement is a bit of a long shot. Same as yours, nothing flags up on the diagnostic.
Have never noticed any pulling away problems on start up but car is garaged and by the time I get out to close the doors and lock up its had a couple of minutes to pump the oils around.
Never noticed any noises between 3250 and 4000 but will pay attention tomorrow just to check.

Sat1 , would like to compare notes if possible- email is harry@dh61rh.wanadoo.co.uk

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom