fuel type comparisons

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
if any one can bear to watch, channel 5 and fifth gear are doing a comparison on fuel types on Monday 14th at 8pm.

if someone would be so kind as to watch it and post the findings up here it will save us all being minded numbingly and mentally crushed in the vice like grip of tiff's ridiculous sideways driving and annoyingly up and down voiced shreiking he calls narration. and whats with that grin?

anyone ever seen Ultimates? he did the narration on that! which buffoon choose him, a failed racing driver with no obvious talent! mans a jerk.

rant rant rant.

lets hope they have some conclusive views with at least some scientific backing for which fuel to use!!!!

Last edited:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
but what about those of us

who already use some kind of Super unleaded. the BP article just compares against standard unleaded.?

turnipsock

Reaction score
I do.

I forgot to watch channel five. I was lucky to wake up to see uni challenge, got double figures tonight, didn't get any they didn't get though.

I notied a big difference when I first tried this fuel, so much so that I haven't gone back to regualr stuff since.

OP
S

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
you dont want to see the whole programme, i nearly thru the tv out at 8:30.

anyway, they tested a clio, new golf gti and latest subaru wrx.

the clio did not have any change on anything, so normal, non high performance cars can safely use supermarket stuff withouth an deficiences.

the golf had resonable better power with ultimax from standard (+4bhp), and a very small improvment beyond ultimate using optimax (+1bhp).

but the subaru almost gained 15BHP and 20bhp. ultimate, optimax

but in both the golf and subaru the torque was siginificantly improved using ultimate and further bettered using optimax.

the conclusions was, if your car is tuned to run better in 97/98 then it will, and from the tests optimax was the bigger gain. and the percentage improvemnet in real world driving for torque was better then the price difference.

so there you have it.

they did not do a milage comparisons, it was all done on a chassis dynamometer.

and fifth gear is the worlds most rubbish programme and tiff is a buffoon.

i refuse to watch it again ever.

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
I watched one a couple of weeks ago. Your hero Tiff went British 24 hour racing with Barwell, a very reputable and professional organisation, but just as an aside, they referred to an old S class which had driven over from Germany, did the 24 job, then coolly fuelled up and drove home.

BarryS

Reaction score
Also can't bear to watch 5th gear.

Heard that Tesco (of all places) have a new v.high octane petrol (higher than Optimax I think).

No use to me - I'm on diesel now (urgh)

Barry

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
anyone used BP diesel ultimate- and noticed any difference (apart from price)?

maddog

Reaction score
Chazchuzzlewitt said:
anyone used BP diesel ultimate- and noticed any difference (apart from price)?

I use BP ultimate by choice i reckon the engine seems a little quieter when running decent fuels like BP, Shell or at a push Esso.

The car seems more picky though since i had it chipped i dont remember noticing any difference before

turnipsock

Reaction score
I watched some of the rerun of fifth gear...what was that all about?

I think Slinky has a point, this is a really bad program and is best avoided.

Tiff's driving is a joke, he just slides the cars all over the place and is not going very fast. I could do that!

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
I can't stand watching smug Vicky Butler-double-barrelled-shotgun, and then that village idiot bloke who's far too excited for his own good.
I did catch the one with the 24hr race including the W126 coupe which finished the race with no mechanical problems then drove off back to Germany- they just don't make 'em like they used to...

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
just to bung in my usual tuppence worth, i usually use shell diesel in my E300estate but recently ran low with not a shell garage in site so sainsburys it had to be. never, never again, the car sounded as though the big ends had gone! at the first opportunity in went good old shell and within 5 miles, YES 5 miles, everything had quietened down to normal.

Top Bottom