Galvanising Of Mercedes Cars

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
For information Porsche have been making cars from galvanised steel since 1980 and that was on a 924 bottom of the range (was,nt even a porsche i hear some of you say), even had a 10 year anti-perferation warranty on it.
As far BMWs i,ve owned six 5 series one 6 series 1980-1987 all had rust issues from wing rust (from the inside out) to completely rotten boot floors so i do find it hard to believe that BMWs of this age were ever Galvanised
You talk about rust on Mercedes but i,ve seen far,far more rusty BMWs.

Me too. By the way, many threads I have seen say BMW began galvanising in 2004. Perhaps someone could try and find out, for sure.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
R129s have always been galvanised - though not the whole shell. In '96 the zinc coating went up to 10 microns with the introduction of water based paint.

Porsche 911s were galvanised in part from 1976.

type49

Reaction score
I worked with BMW from 85-94 & yes, I saw some rotten ones. They were'nt galvanised back then.

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score
I worked with BMW from 85-94 & yes, I saw some rotten ones. They were'nt galvanised back then.

Yes i think i saw a few rotton cars in the 80's too. :rolleyes:

We are talking about MY2000 on!!!!. I think you will find it hard to show me a BMW or Audi of that age with any rust unless its been severly abused.

type49

Reaction score
I must admit I've had 4 Audi's & I've got nothing but praise for all of them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A recent discussion concerning the full galvanising of body panels, with a MB franchised bodyshop employee of long established experience, suggests that
the coating is extremely thin.

If paint chipping occurs these models still rust & that the improved lacquer
coat does not improve resistance to chipping.

I had hoped that it would be possible to dispense with 3M anti abrasion film
I have successfully used on my W202, when updating to a late W203 but it
would appear not.

Simon Barry

This is very true, I will find out some more on this subject, I think that the process should not be confused with galvanising in the same sense as a galvernised peice of metal.

Malcolm

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
If paint chipping occurs these models still rust & that the improved lacquer
coat does not improve resistance to chipping.

Simon Barry

There is no doubt that stone chipping is a major problem on all cars. I am staggered that Local Authorities can go on surfacing roads in a way that causes so much damage to other people's property. The truth is some of the stones are so large and impact at such speed that it is hard to see any easy solution. Touching up is not easy with metallic paint, but is essential.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no doubt that stone chipping is a major problem on all cars. I am staggered that Local Authorities can go on surfacing roads in a way that causes so much damage to other people's property. The truth is some of the stones are so large and impact at such speed that it is hard to see any easy solution. Touching up is not easy with metallic paint, but is essential.

Yes the paint does come off too easily,do bare in mind that keeping the distance from the car in front does help, very much so when they are gritting the roads, larger stones do fly a long way. We are not alone, many people in the USA have their cars plastic coated.
Not that much can be done as all of the paint comes off leaving the bare metal as said, and this has been the case sinse the cars with Water based paint. All of the research in the world will not help as they come the way that they do. The paint on my V70R is much better than the SL.

In the first place we had cellulose, that was prone to chipping if too thick, but it was still softer than todays finnishes, next came the synthetic, much better as it was softer,but easily scratched, then the 2K, early cars had big problems (124 1987) when a stone chip soon turned into a massive blister as it was too hard.
When i did special cars in the past I always acid etched the bare steel, although intended for alli it still gave a better than nothing lasting effect.

Malcolm

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
In the States a lot of owners fit a clear plastic film over the front to protect against stones. I expect some do it here but I've never seen it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the States a lot of owners fit a clear plastic film over the front to protect against stones. I expect some do it here but I've never seen it.

I believe it is a 3m product, an interesting process that involves removing all of the detail and bumper sections. I think it takes 2 days to do the whole front. I fail to see how the finnish can look all over the car.

Malcolm

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
I believe it is a 3m product, an interesting process that involves removing all of the detail and bumper sections. I think it takes 2 days to do the whole front. I fail to see how the finnish can look all over the car.

Malcolm

Yes, it is a 3M film that is cut to suit the leading edges of vehicles which are primarily at risk from chipping/damage i.e.
Bonnet-Front bumper-Lower skirt-wheel arches-headlights-door mirrors etc.

I was quoted £125 (Half Kit) £440(Full kit) for my W202 in 2000.
After research I located the basic film & cut & applied it myself to areas at risk.
It requires heat/warm enviromental temperatures & lubricant underneath to facilitate a smooth unwrinkled finish.Start with flat or simple curves & progress
to more complex areas as experience is gained.

It has proved to be extremely robust & serviceable & I shall be using it again
on my next car.

The Armourfend site can be found athttp://www.protectacar.co.uk

Simon Barry

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score

Malcolm

I have ver used it but seen it on a few 911's and boxter, i think its a bit colour dependant some make the fil show more than others.

It definatly works well, and is very tough. You need to be carefull when using wax close to the edges

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I have ver used it but seen it on a few 911's and boxter, i think its a bit colour dependant some make the fil show more than others.

It definatly works well, and is very tough. You need to be carefull when using wax close to the edges

Sounds a good idea. What we need is someone with it, to come to a GTG so we can all see it in the flesh.

Has anyone ever sued a Local Authority for wilful damage to their prize motor??

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score

By all means if you want to pay another £2000 per year along with all your other neibours the local authority would be delited to spend more on the roads.

Better still a 60% tax band for all the fat cats who earn more than £50k a year. I would have a nice 99.9% band for ***ker dentists who should be forced to all do community service at the weekends. Fecking scum of the earth leaches on society.... Sorry just had to get that off the chest....:mad:

Other than that i'm not sure you could say 'wilful damage'

Worth a try tho, spend £2000 on lawers fees to get a £100 stone chip repaired. Go for it, you could be the test case. :)

Reaction score
Sounds a good idea. What we need is someone with it, to come to a GTG so we can all see it in the flesh.

actually yes. My brother got passed by a gritter truck and the grit it was spraying out chipped the paint on his car. He contacted the local council (Surrey County Council) and they asked for details of time and location. When they confirmed there was a gritter lorry there at that time they didn't even argue about having the bonnet and one of the wings re-sprayed. This was about 12 years ago though,

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well done your brother. Not often David beats Goliath.

Apial

Reaction score
By all means if you want to pay another £2000 per year along with all your other neibours the local authority would be delited to spend more on the roads.

Better still a 60% tax band for all the fat cats who earn more than £50k a year. I would have a nice 99.9% band for ***ker dentists who should be forced to all do community service at the weekends. Fecking scum of the earth leaches on society.... Sorry just had to get that off the chest....:mad:

Other than that i'm not sure you could say 'wilful damage'

Worth a try tho, spend £2000 on lawers fees to get a £100 stone chip repaired. Go for it, you could be the test case. :)

Have you had a bad experience at the dentists? Then think yourself lucky mate, we don't have any dentists here to have a bad experience with! If you raised the dentists taxes to 100% you wouldn't raise enough money to resurface the entrance to Tesco's let alone the millions of miles of rural Lincolnshire roads, because here at least there are precious few dentists!

The last dentist that turned up from Poland went home after only 2 weeks. I would rather spend the money on the dentists than the roads. So much for NHS service in the 21st Century. It is a national disgrace. The Government just don't care.

Its probably easier to get a sex change than get a filling done!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I go to Sweden to get mine done. Teeth,that is.

Malcolm

slim_boy_fat

Reaction score
So much for NHS service in the 21st Century. It is a national disgrace. The Government just don't care.

That’s really the issue isnt it.

Move the dentists out of the NHS by Herr Thatcher did two things.

1. Make it hard to get a dentist, unless you have lots of money.

2. Make a lot of rich dentists.

Anyway, its simple don’t eat too many sugary things and brush your teeth 3 times a day and you don’t need dentists.

I just resent the money that generally goes into the NHS from taxation and the %age that goes on far too many highly paid staff.

Slightly off topic, made time for a non car related thread, lolsss or better still a different forum..

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
well I have a perfectly good NHS dentist (I'm not telling where mind!) and some of the wealthiest folk I knew in the 70's were dentists so don't blame Maggie!
As I say to people who critisise the amount I charge for what they see as a similar job to theirs, if it's so easy and lucrative, why not join them! Lets face it, in the case of dentists, there are lots of vacancies!
Then again, we could all be plumbers as they are rare and minted too. But personally I don't fancy spending my days with a hand down a khazi!

The grass is always greener.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom