Gearbox advice (722.6)

Deano265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 1997 3.2
Hi there.

I am at a bit of a loss. Got a 99 CLK w208.

Quick history, Radiator fail so trans/water mix occurred.
Flushed with new fluid, valve plate etc removed and cleaned.
Put back together, trans fluid level checked.

Drive beautifully for approx 10 miles, put trans in reverse to back onto drive and nothing.. no drive in any gear, turn of and on and the car can be moved a few feet at a time. Checked level which looked low so topped up and is now ok.

Started car and initially had a whine from the trans, engaged in all gears but only for a few minutes.

Is it likely that there is a code or something limp mode related stopping it engaging any gears? I am just lost as to how it would be perfect for 10 miles and then nothing..

All help most appreciated, I used this forum to get this far so hopefully someone can help..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The level should be checked with the engine at 80c, the car in P and idling, then test where the fluid should be 6.5mm up the correct test stick or 7.2mm if using a home made test stick.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I wonder if the clutch plates in the torque converter have been damaged with the glycol contamination?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I would suspect the clutch plates in the torque convertor have lost the friction material due to contamination and blocked your filter. Seen it quite a few times.

OP
D

Deano265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 1997 3.2
From the couple of replies, it would seem to be the torque converter. Is there any way to be sure about that?

I have checked the fluid level as stated above and the filter has been changed.

OP
D

Deano265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 1997 3.2
I ask as I wonder if changing the torque converter will fix it or whether to change the trans aswell as I guess it will all have to come off the car either way!.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It depends on how long the fluid has been contaminated for. The tq plates fall apart first, then the plates in the box. A new filter will block in a matter of miles.

OP
D

Deano265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 1997 3.2
Thanks, I have changed oil twice including filters.

The bit I don't get is why after all the work it ran perfectly??? How could it run perfectly with damage to the clutch plate material???

So would you suggest I should replace both the trans and torque converter??

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Thanks, I have changed oil twice including filters.

The bit I don't get is why after all the work it ran perfectly??? How could it run perfectly with damage to the clutch plate material???

So would you suggest I should replace both the trans and torque converter??

It will work until the clutch material falls away from the plates, in those 10 miles of driving. Once they fall away and block the filter, the pressure drops and you loose drive.

Rinse repeat until you have no more friction material left.

Replace the box and TQ and you should be fine. Should be plenty of second hand ones about.

OP
D

Deano265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 1997 3.2
Thank you all for you're help, I thought I might have to change both.

Just had to be worth asking just in case I had missed something completely stupid..

Great forum! Thanx again

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom