1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox reset

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by The Pan Man, Dec 6, 2012.

1. The Pan Man

The Pan Man Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
    Is there a gearbox reset for the 7G Box? I would like to "Educate" mine for my driving style if it's possible.

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    Only possible using STAR

The 'box continuously adapts to your "style" it has a relatively small "memory" so a short spot of enthusiastic driving would change it's behaviour

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    You can do nothing on STAR other than to set it up correctly (some can and some cannot) There were load of tales around on re setting the 722.6. they operate in the same way as the 722.6 box.

The engine is in constant contact with the box, this means they they automatically adapt to your driving style. They have to, say you are are driving hard along a motorway and come off to a 30mph limit, the engine is no longer being kicked down, the gearbox knows this, and the box changes leisurely once more.

4. whitenemesis

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    I think you will find STAR is used to clear and "reset" the 'box memory. There is no other way of doing it. All these "press the throttle for nnn and then xyz" instructions do nothing.

The 'box will constantly adapt and usually over a relatively short distance. That said people's "style" doesn't tend to vary that much in normal day to day driving (as opposed to taking it on the track and then driving it home. There I think one would notice a significant change in shift points etc..)

5. television

Your Mercedes:
    But the OP does nor have problems so no point in clearing the memory, that is not what he asked.

6. whitenemesis

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    The OP asked to reset the gearbox. The only way to reset the gearbox is using STAR. The gearbox will continuously adapt anyway so rather pointless, even after clearing the memory it will instantly start learning the current "style".

But to answer the OP's question, yes there is a way to reset the gearbox and that is by using STAR.

7. television

Your Mercedes:

You are not correct, he did not mean it in that way, he was referring to the the various threads that have been up on the 722.6 box and the various claims made by some by going through a set routine.

He asked I would like to "Educate" mine for my driving style if it's possible. and this has nothing to do with any setting on STAR for nothing exist on STAR for doing that

8. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    The car will probably have already learned the Pan Man as they constantly adapt and change shifting patterns on the way they are driven.

Whilst you can reset the adaptations on star, this is AFAIK only done when the fluid is changed.

9. whitenemesis

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    Malcolm, re read post #2...

Also how do you become the arbiter on what the OP meant?

Oh, BTW the 7G box is a 722.9

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. television

Your Mercedes:
    I have been on here long enough to read through the line.

Have I said that the box is not a 7g anywhere, No

You get on with it, you can never be wrong