1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost in my machine

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by jonthetourist, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jonthetourist

jonthetourist Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    Last night I went down to the pub in my R129. Didn't get there because of flooding, extracting myself carefully from some deeper water than I fancied (bow wave territory).

The car got home fine, but shortly after turning the driver seat started sliding forward as if I had pressed the button. It stopped, so I pressed the button to slide it back. Result - it slid forward again. So I arrived home squashed round the steering wheel.

I assume water got in somewhere and confused the electrics so I will run the dehumidiifier today, but anyone else experienced this?

Jon

2. OP
    jonthetourist

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    It's not a dehumidifier I need, it's a bucket to drain the space behind the driver seat. It's amazing anything worked in that environment.

3. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Seat control unit is under seats, best remove seat cushions, 2 screws at front of base and dry control unit before it corrodes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  4. OP
    jonthetourist

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    Good thinking - thanks

5. The Swede

The Swede Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S63 AMG
    I did experience this several times. ... There was a 7 year old passenger involved though :?

6. OP
    jonthetourist

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    aagh!

The plot thickens, unfortunately.

I took the seat squab out, pulled the relays, blasted them with a hardryer. The seat moved fine on the controls. Left the car a few days with the dehumidifier running. Put the seat squab in this morning and went to go out, but the controls for back and forward and seat-back angle both have only one effect - to drive the seat forward regardless of which way they are pushed. The headrest button works fine.

Any thoughts?

Jon

7. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    its the large seat control unit thats seem to have got wet, unscrew it and look inside if you can. its the one with all the plugs on it.

8. OP
    jonthetourist

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    OK Thanks, will do in daylight tomorrow. There is a small clicking noise too (everything switched off) which seems to be coming from high within the seat back, towards the outside.

What fun!

This is the current state of the riverside pub I was trying to reach, so y problems are very small scale by comparison.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556327_338991049531993_2004986195_n.jpg
    Jon

9. OP
    jonthetourist

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    Result!

Happy day

Although the box itself seemed dry, there was water underneath it. A towel followed by half an hour with the hairdryer and everything is moving correctly :)

Now doing the passenger side, which was working, but also very damp under the control box.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Jon