Gliding mode

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
Have you tested it? :)
I’m interested to hear how well it works.
I can attest to both functions working well. Once when someone cut in suddenly whilst I was accelerating and it took over and braked, and once when I had to pull up sooner than expected and it sensed I was braking urgently and it assisted. In both cases ABS cut in and I was amazed at just how quickly I came to a halt, as was the person behind me!. My daughter's Volvo also has this feature and it helped her avoid an accident too.

I suppose the trouble is that some people could come to rely on this feature and tailgate even closer.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Hasn't the emergency stop assist been around for a while? I think our 2010 S212 has it - I had an emergency braking situation once where the car guessed that I was in the process of stomping on the brakes and enhanced the braking. I stopped very sharply and apparently the brake lights were flashing like the blazes (my partner was following). No radar or sensors, just the rate of braking triggered it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hasn't the emergency stop assist been around for a while? I think our 2010 S212 has it - I had an emergency braking situation once where the car guessed that I was in the process of stomping on the brakes and enhanced the braking. I stopped very sharply and apparently the brake lights were flashing like the blazes (my partner was following). No radar or sensors, just the rate of braking triggered it.
That's the brake assist that came in with the W211 E-Class - Mercedes research showed drivers initially braked very hard then backed off which increased the stopping distance. The system detects the drivers foot is still on the brake and so takes over and brakes as hard as it can until the driver removes their foot. Many E-Class Mercedes ended up getting rear-ended as the cars behind couldn't stop anything like as fast...
The new system has a radar sensor at the front that detects an object that you're rapidly approaching, it then warns you and brakes. My W213 had that system and it cut in a couple of times

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It will also turn the hazards on under certain circumstances.(I think if braking hard above a certain speed).

I had active brake assist (amongst all the other stuff) in my 2009 Landcruiser 200 series.....

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can attest to both functions working well. Once when someone cut in suddenly whilst I was accelerating and it took over and braked, and once when I had to pull up sooner than expected and it sensed I was braking urgently and it assisted. In both cases ABS cut in and I was amazed at just how quickly I came to a halt, as was the person behind me!. My daughter's Volvo also has this feature and it helped her avoid an accident too.

I suppose the trouble is that some people could come to rely on this feature and tailgate even closer.
I had a day out with MB at a test circuit in Australia. It was mainly about the safety features in their cars. They had a car prepped with every safety feature disabled and let us loose on a skid pan obstacle course - car was pretty much undriveable. Then we took the same model with everything working and the difference was amazing. Drivers do not know how much the cars these days help us.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom