Glow Plug Warning Light

pugwash

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Southampton
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid, C320 CDI, VW Camper 1976
This may be normal, but I'm new to Mercedes diesels and have just purchshed a C320 CDI. Before I start the car I wait for the glow plug light to go out, then start the engine. However, after about 30 seconds the glow plug light comes back on and stays on for about 2 mins while i'm driving then goes out. The car is under warranty and I have seen on the forum that glow plugs can be a problem so would like to know if this is Ok?
 

whitenemesis

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
17,978
Reaction score
26
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
It indicates one or more glowplugs has failed and will need replacing
 

Brett

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
Age
53
Location
Fife, Scotland
Had exactly the same problem with my CLS about two months or so ago. In the end, all of the plugs were replaced under warranty. Take your car into a dealer.
 

Brett

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
Age
53
Location
Fife, Scotland
Did you mean 3weeks or 3hrs, if 3weeks, hope they did not charge for that time.

I mean that they had my car for three weeks. They couldn't get one of the glow plugs out and ended up sending the head away for it to be drilled out. Three weeks later....

On the plus side, when I got it back it felt very fast...although that is probably because I had a A150 auto as a loan car whilst mine was in.
 

seabadger

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
110
Reaction score
1
Location
Borsetshire
Your Mercedes
W218/2013/CLS 250CDi
Glow plug failure on W219

Had exactly the same problem with my CLS about two months or so ago. In the end, all of the plugs were replaced under warranty. Take your car into a dealer.


Guess what Brett - one month ago in the cold weather I had difficulty starting the car and got the glow plug failure light as described earlier. The local dealer replaced 6 glow plugs under warranty. I queried what could cause all six to go at once - they said it was unusual and had spoken to MB about it - presumably to justify the cost. It took a day and fingers crossed no issue since.

Regards
Seabadger
 

Hertfordshire Merx

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
0
Your Mercedes
A160
There is a document available to all dealers on the TIPS system instructing to replace all 6 glow plugs even if only one fails. They are made from ceramic and have to be worked on very carefully as its common for them to snap inside when extracting of from ham fisted techs over tightening them!! This can cause the need to remove the head for removal of subbing to a good engineering firm to do it without taking the head off.

Book it in and have them all replaced. Seems the new V6 320 fitted in various models is suffering from this.
 

Brett

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
Age
53
Location
Fife, Scotland
There is a document available to all dealers on the TIPS system instructing to replace all 6 glow plugs even if only one fails. They are made from ceramic and have to be worked on very carefully as its common for them to snap inside when extracting of from ham fisted techs over tightening them!! This can cause the need to remove the head for removal of subbing to a good engineering firm to do it without taking the head off.

Book it in and have them all replaced. Seems the new V6 320 fitted in various models is suffering from this.

Almost perfect description of what happened to mine although the told me that the head was removed and sent away to a specialist engineering firm. It then took them a further day to refit the head and make sure there were no leaks. At least, that is what they told me.
 

jp williams

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
1,598
Reaction score
319
Location
Wirral & Axarqia,Spain
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I`ve had 4 Mercs,3 of which were diesels in the last 14 years.
Every diesel has had the glowplug problem! It is not unusual..take it back and have them replaced under warranty.
Good luck.
Regards
John
 

welshflag7

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
This may be normal, but I'm new to Mercedes diesels and have just purchshed a C320 CDI. Before I start the car I wait for the glow plug light to go out, then start the engine. However, after about 30 seconds the glow plug light comes back on and stays on for about 2 mins while i'm driving then goes out. The car is under warranty and I have seen on the forum that glow plugs can be a problem so would like to know if this is Ok?

The same has happened to me!!! However, I suppose I'll be hit with a big bill. I am 4 wk 9 days OUT of warranty. I have booked my car in the MB but the chap on the other end of the telephone (not the usual chap I deal with) didn't sound hopeful. He explained that he would have to go through to MB to 'seek advice' as glowplugs are 'just like spark plugs and a wear and tear item' (he'll be telling me that cars are very complicated machines next:eek:) I am a little frustrated after putting almost 1500 pounds YES you read that right 1500 pounds across their counter at a recent 'A' YES an 'A' service. Admittedly this was at 50K miles and included some required extra work (gearbox oil flush, front disks and pads and 2 new rear tyres - the last 1 is my bad!!! in hindsight I could have purchased the tyres elsewhere) but I was still a little taken aback. Do you think I can push the good will bit this close to my warranty end or am I pushing my luck? as a warranty has to end sometime. Advice or recent experiences with warranty dealings appreciated. Thanks
 

television

Always remembered RIP
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
164,073
Reaction score
331
Age
86
Location
Daventry
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not write to MB in Milton Keynes and ask, I did a got some help towards a repair cost
 

Dosco

Active Senior Members
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
3,942
Reaction score
4
Age
80
Your Mercedes
W211
Do you think I can push the good will bit this close to my warranty end or am I pushing my luck? as a warranty has to end sometime. Advice or recent experiences with warranty dealings appreciated. Thanks

Never ever be put off by 'first refusal' or afraid to push for 'goodwill' given that you say it is just outside the warranty is to your benefit and be persistent if not a bl**dy nuisance;)
 

Alex M Grieve

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
59
Location
Broom, Warwickshire
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Never ever be put off by 'first refusal' or afraid to push for 'goodwill' given that you say it is just outside the warranty is to your benefit and be persistent if not a bl**dy nuisance;)

I agree with Dosco and others - it doesn't hurt to ask. You could also appeal to their better nature :)rolleyes:) - you wouldn't expect a MB diesel to fail at this mileage, would you? :shock::shock::shock:

Sadly their experience might work against this argument, but it shouldn't.

Good hunting.
 

exeng

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
There is a system that removes glow plugs without snapping them as long as you do not use more than 25nm torque trying to remove them.They can also be removed when snapped without removing the head.
 

welshflag7

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Why not write to MB in Milton Keynes and ask, I did a got some help towards a repair cost

Yes, that's a great idea Television. I'll see what comes out of Thurs visit to MB and contact Milton Keynes if the answer is no!

Cheers
 

BarnDoor

Active Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
nr Horley
Your Mercedes
06 E320 CDI Sport
The same is happening on my 06 E320CDI, which is a V6. Looks like a trip to the dealer for me as well then.
 

BarnDoor

Active Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
nr Horley
Your Mercedes
06 E320 CDI Sport
Just had a call from my dealer. 2 of the glow plugs are gone but they are going to change them all. They told me that glow plugs are not covered by the used car warranty (had the car 2 months) and the car is now 12 days out of the three year warranty. The dealer had already contacted MB who offered to pay 90% and the dealer is covering the other 10% themselves. Can't grumble at that, not many companies these days go out of their way to help and offer to do things for free.
 

Alex M Grieve

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
59
Location
Broom, Warwickshire
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Just had a call from my dealer. 2 of the glow plugs are gone but they are going to change them all. They told me that glow plugs are not covered by the used car warranty (had the car 2 months) and the car is now 12 days out of the three year warranty. The dealer had already contacted MB who offered to pay 90% and the dealer is covering the other 10% themselves. Can't grumble at that, not many companies these days go out of their way to help and offer to do things for free.

Well done you - although "it should never have happened" it is important to acknowledge good news like this.
 

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom