Grandad Mode

Pg111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Cdi 2001 estate 'Mary Benz'
Hi everyone,

Do 2001 C220cdi have some kind of special ability to learn how you drive and in a way remap themselves to suit?

Long and short of it is that this car I've been given keeps going into a sort of limp mode but its not limp mode. It drives great if I drive like a tw@ and thrash it everywhere but as soon as I get into traffic or follow someone and have to do a nice steady 30 it changes gear too early as in straight up the box still doing 25 and the throttle stops working beyond about 10%. It will still get to 80-90mph but just takes all day.

First thing is like it thinks I want it to drive like I'm 90 and secondly it doesn't give any warning symbols on the dash or flag anything when I plug it into STAR.

I've started thinking its a throttle position sensor but would this fault all the time or only after I've been taking it steady? Is there anyway of doing a DIY test on it with a multimeter?

Also a little note. I've tried it with a new MAF and its still the same.

Thanks! X

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Yes they do adapt to how you drive, but also check that the gearbox is in S mode rather than C or W (not sure whether yours has C or W).

C (Comfort) or W (winter) will start off in 2nd gear and change up to a higher gear as soon as possible. S (Sport) starts off in 1st and will hold onto gears longer.

There is a slight variation allowed for gearbox adaption to your driving style.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As you have replaced the MAF (not an Ebay version I hope) you will need to get the codes read out, any gearbox learning is very short as the gearbox only has a tiny memory

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
At 30 mph with warm engine it will just about slip into 4th...
At 41 it will go into 5th, but only if very light on the throttle.. (well at least thats how mine works)
If yours is changing much sooner even with throttle then suggest you follow televisions advice.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It does sound like you are hitting a limp mode, possibly egr valve related, as mine did that when I used to drive slowly. I would get it plugged in to get the error codes read.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Long and short of it is that this car I've been given keeps going into a sort of limp mode but its not limp mode. It drives great if I drive like a tw@ and thrash it everywhere but as soon as I get into traffic or follow someone and have to do a nice steady 30 it changes gear too early as in straight up the box still doing 25 and the throttle stops working beyond about 10%. It will still get to 80-90mph but just takes all day.

Being a 12 year old 2 tonne automatic powered by a 2 litre diesel engine can't be helping things in the racing car dept.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a re-read, star wont show when its going into limp mode sometimes, just the error codes that come with it, and im sure there are error codes on your car. Get a list of the codes from star and let us know what they say.

OP
P

Pg111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Cdi 2001 estate 'Mary Benz'
I'll get it plugged in again but I made sure it was very thorough last time. Does anybody have any suggestions of places to take it around the Mansfield area?

I cleaned the egr valve out because it was properly stuck with gunge. The MAF was a genuine mercedes one.

Also might be worth a note that when my wife drives it she can get it to run fine for a lot longer than I can. If it goes wrong at all. She doesn't seem to drive it any different to me. It wouldn't bother me too much if it just got used round town cos up to 30 you don't notice but when u want to join the motorway and you can only get to 40 mph by the end of the slip road it's abit worrying.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you remeber what the codes where?

If the EGR valve was completely stuck, its likely that the piping, intake manifold etc is filled with crud. If you get a repeated EGR low flow code or something similar, then look into the EGR shunt :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom