Grrr remapped e350 wheel spin

Psilonaught

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 e350 Sport Wagon, Pano Roof, Nav 20, Ambient Lighting, Power Mirrors/ Tail, Remap to 275bhp
I am having some problems with wheel spin post remap with this car, especially in the wet but also often in the dry too. I asked the guys who did it to do an eco blend so the bhp is about 275, not the 285-90 max.

I have brand new Pirelli P Zeros on the rear and at this rate I am going to eat through them in months. It is worse in sport- pretty much every time I go out, I get the traction control kicking in at least once

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? I come from a 520d so I am used to driving quite hard because to get it going you needed to drive it pretty hard, I guess my driving style needs changing :Oops:

Last edited:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Put a block of wood under the accelerator pedal ;)

It's cold out there so tyres are not as grippy.
I got winter tyres on and they feel like I'm driving on jelly babies and spin up easily.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
All cars only use power as directed by the right foot it's in your hands (or feet).

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Its the torque that's breaking the traction but as said above its all down to the right foot.

Perhaps the remappers could reduce throttle sensitivity if you are finding it too difficult to modulate?

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
Psi,
my 350 CDI has been fettled too, haven't had any problems with winters on, except if I'm really lead footed, then the little yellow triangle flashes, it doesn't seem much more sensitive to spinning up. May be the people who remapped your car increased the throttle sensitivity ? You'll either have to adjust to it or ask them to make the throttle less sensitive so that you need to be deeper into the carpet till it gives you more.

L John - you have a petrol C350 petrol ? I've never seen one and was looking out for one for ages, I gave in after 3 months and bought the CDI.... What mpg figures are you getting ?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All cars only use power as directed by the right foot it's in your hands (or feet).

With EPS kicking in as necessary, a driver doesn't have to feel for the edge of grip anymore.
It ends up with a right foot that lacks feel. No offence to the OP.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
L John - you have a petrol C350 petrol ? I've never seen one and was looking out for one for ages, I gave in after 3 months and bought the CDI.... What mpg figures are you getting ?

Yes bud, check out the photo on THIS thread for best mpg I got on a run.

I average around 25mpg but I like the sound of the engine so I can't help hard occasional acceleration.
It has gone under 20mpg but thats on a spirited drive out on my own, not bad at all in my opinion.

I was miffed to find the tax disk was £470 though.

OP
P

Psilonaught

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 e350 Sport Wagon, Pano Roof, Nav 20, Ambient Lighting, Power Mirrors/ Tail, Remap to 275bhp
I make frequent use of the left paddle to quickly drop the gearbox to the right gear and then apply power, and that seems to be the cause, but I will try to be more gentle, thanks for the replies

6cyl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 CDI
hmm, thought that might be the case, I'm avg about 24mpg, all round town.
My long term avg has crept up to 28.3mpg !! Now, I really wished I'd looked harder for the petrol. I've posted in your other thread too with Q about the camera.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Good morning,

When we tune for a "blended" map we don't touch any fuelling below 85% throttle / load. In the fuelling tables in the software we use its named "drivers wish" which is your right foot. It could possibly be that they adjusted the rail pressure too low for a blended tune. This would give you that instant response which rightly said in this weather with cold tyres could surprise the grip (or lack of).

Many thanks

The GAD team

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Also another thing will be the nature of the diesel beast and that's to produce all torque at 1500rpm which can also be issue for traction!

Regards

GAD

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I make frequent use of the left paddle to quickly drop the gearbox to the right gear and then apply power, and that seems to be the cause, but I will try to be more gentle, thanks for the replies

As Gad Tuning says, you are surprising the grip with a sudden hit of power.

I would argue that you are not making good use of the paddle in the current temperature/weather conditions.
Push the throttle progressively instead of stomping on it.

Also are you in sport mode?
A lot of power can be put down even in poor conditions but any change in power or braking should be progressive.
Partly due weight shift and suspension changes.

OP
P

Psilonaught

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
did another really bad one this morning, wheels properly spinning, on a bone dry road. I just need to keep in in comfort basically, unless I need to humiliate some moronic London rude boy in a bimmer :lol:

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Strange as there are no separate maps for E or S on the EDC17 CP10 or CP46 platforms. I am right in thinking in E it pulls away in 2nd???

Regards

The GAD team

speedtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2004 270 CDI
Reading through all the posts there has to be something really amiss, because know one can be that heavy footed and all this started since the ECU was reprogrammed, something wrong there.

I would take it back, ask for the original setting to be loaded and get my money back. Then go to someone else who are better at programming.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all this started since the ECU was reprogrammed, something wrong there.

He's only had the car a month.
He says he "needs to keep it in comfort basically".
So he's in sport mode and dropping gears with the paddle before hammering it.

Yep, mine spins up too.
Maybe mines faulty :lol:

speedtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2004 270 CDI
He's only had the car a month.
He says he "needs to keep it in comfort basically".
So he's in sport mode and dropping gears with the paddle before hammering it.

Yep, mine spins up too.
Maybe mines faulty :lol:

If that is really the case, maybe he should have started with ridding bikes. Massive power, small tyre contact patch. You soon learn good throttle control or you come off. :D

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Absolutely, some bikes have ABS which can help, but you get spat off if you don't know how to feel the grip. (mines a ZRX1200).
Cars are very forgiving.

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
Just take your lead trainers off and wear slippers instead.

In the sl I can spin the wheels every time if I just push the pedal to the carpet, it's not hard to do with 320 odd horses

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
did another really bad one this morning, wheels properly spinning, on a bone dry road. I just need to keep in in comfort basically, unless I need to humiliate some moronic London rude boy in a bimmer :lol:

...kinda says it all really.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom