handbrake warning

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SE / Coupe / 2003 / C 220/CDI/A
Hi all,noticed when hand lever pulled to release handbrake warning light still on,push in and shake hand lever warning light goes off, is there a easy fix?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I'm not sure what the fix is but from what I've read on here a sticking handbrake release seems quite common on 203 and 209 variants, often playing up more when the weather is cold. My 209 is inclined to stick occasionally too, entirely at random. Never had that with any of my other Mercs.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting info,the handbrake warning light cancels when I jiggle the release lever,its probably serious enough to take it in and have it diagnosed,thank you for info.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Good chance it will be the micro switch sticking on the release mechanism.
Not sure exactly where it is on yours but a liberal application of contact cleaning lubricant whilst working the mechanism back and forth is what I’d do.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good chance it will be the micro switch sticking on the release mechanism.
Not sure exactly where it is on yours but a liberal application of contact cleaning lubricant whilst working the mechanism back and forth is what I’d do.
Me too if I could find it,seems it would be underneath the cover under the bonnet release lever or that general location.thanks for info.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jiggle hand lever warning light goes off! micro switch sticking on the release mechanism perhaps. How to locate it? Info appreciated..

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Like many other owners I just lift the pedal last 1/2 inch

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You could lift the back seat base, remove the small central cover and lubricate the mechanism below. A good place to start

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could lift the back seat base, remove the small central cover and lubricate the mechanism below. A good place to start
Right! a.s.a.p , will let you know, thank you.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
On my S203 I had the problem of the dashboard brake warning light staying on intermittently. A liberal lubrication sorted it out - and that was at least 5 years ago!

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How hot should front vented brake discs be after town drive , twenty minutes or so? Touch hot? or too hot to touch? Might be a bit of a silly query,just keeping an eye on things after new discs and pads going on.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How hot should front vented brake discs be after town drive , twenty minutes or so? Touch hot? or too hot to touch? Might be a bit of a silly query,just keeping an eye on things after new discs and pads going on.
Depends how much you’ve braked but I wouldn’t expect to be able to touch them due to the heat.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It entirely depends on how you drive. I can have them too hot to touch in 3 mins if you like.
Best test is to get them hot then jack it up and see if you can spin the wheel freely. A binding brake will always be worse hot. A healthy brake will be free to turn even if really hot

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It entirely depends on how you drive. I can have them too hot to touch in 3 mins if you like.
Best test is to get them hot then jack it up and see if you can spin the wheel freely. A binding brake will always be worse hot. A healthy brake will be free to turn even if really hot
Ok! I hear you.One front disc is hotter,the side that did not have new caliper fitted.Indy said all ok with RH caliper,running hotter though.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It’s dragging then, maybe only slightly. If you hold the steering wheel lightly and brake does it pull to one side?

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s dragging then, maybe only slightly. If you hold the steering wheel lightly and brake does it pull to one side?
I will double check again,it did not appear to be when driving before,ok rolling out the gate in neutral position between brake on! brake off! check. Thanks for the interest.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom