Has Mercedes Benz Lost the Plot?

davidwilson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 320 convertible
Back around last Christmas I was looking at replacing our Audi A3 hybrid runaround with an A250e, and while the CLK was in the dealership being looked at, I was having an exploratory chat with the sales chappie.
He told me that neither the A Class or B Class are available with leather seats any more - not even as an option - just the nasty sweaty plastic taxi-spec Mercedes man-made Artico substitute.
Apparently the small car ownership demographichas an increasing proportion of vegetarian and vegan buyers. (I don't want to eat the b**** seats, just sit on them!) Yesterday he told me that you now can't get the "luxury" CLA with leather either....
In more bad news, MB have stopped taking orders for hybrid A & B Class with immediate effect and are going to phase both series out completely in 2025. Not enough profit in small cars - they are going to put all the resources into the big Chelsea tractor ranges that start with the GLA because the profit margins are better.
Horrid great things - and a liability in Somerset's lanes.
Is it "Bye Bye" Mercedes?
WIHIH?

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
My R231 SL500 is fitted with "the nasty sweaty plastic taxi-spec Mercedes man-made Artico substitute", seem ok as a standard fit on a £100k car, I am probably as green as Jeremy Clarkson but the Artico are not, in my opinion, too bad but was surprised leather was not standard.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
The whole artico argument is an odd one, as some people state that it's hard to distinguish from leather, but others say its nothing like it.

I have yet to experience it for myself, as I tend to hunt for cars with Nappa as I like the smooth finish better than the grainy one.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
The whole artico argument is an odd one, as some people state that it's hard to distinguish from leather, but others say its nothing like it.

I have yet to experience it for myself, as I tend to hunt for cars with Nappa as I like the smooth finish better than the grainy one.
I had leather in my Range Rovers, also in my Jags, seemed smoother and had that fresh leather smell when new but the Artico has, to date, weathered well in the convertible so no complaints.
If the price/option meant electric seats v leather or perhaps leather or air-conditioning I would prefer to opt out of leather in favour of other extras, the only exception is the cooled seats, total waste of time in the Mercedes as they have no effect but in the Jag they felt re-fridgerated!

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
I completely agree - I'd rather have air con or electric seats than real leather.

I too noticed the Jaguar XJ cooled seats were much more powerful than the S class ones. Perhaps a little too powerful as I used to find they gave me a back ache :p

These days I avoid cooled seats where I can, as I think they are a waste of time, and I am not keen on perforated leather!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Another sign that electric/semi electric vehicles aren't making the numbers anymore.
My thoughts are that anyone who wanted one probably already has one so sales are declining.
With regard to Artico I'd rather smear my bottom with jam and sit on a wasps nest :shock:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Another sign that electric/semi electric vehicles aren't making the numbers anymore.
My thoughts are that anyone who wanted one probably already has one so sales are declining.
With regard to Artico I'd rather smear my bottom with jam and sit on a wasps nest :shock:
Each to their own I suppose

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
But with battery degradation wouldn't that mean a healthy market in the replacements? Unless those that bought aren't impressed with the overall concept.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We had leather seats in our last C Class and for years didn't even realise as they seemed no different to the artico we were used to. Now have an A Class with artico and quite honestly we are happy with them. I'd also rather have air con and other extras in preference to leather seats.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Back around last Christmas I was looking at replacing our Audi A3 hybrid runaround with an A250e, and while the CLK was in the dealership being looked at, I was having an exploratory chat with the sales chappie.
He told me that neither the A Class or B Class are available with leather seats any more - not even as an option - just the nasty sweaty plastic taxi-spec Mercedes man-made Artico substitute.
Apparently the small car ownership demographichas an increasing proportion of vegetarian and vegan buyers. (I don't want to eat the b**** seats, just sit on them!) Yesterday he told me that you now can't get the "luxury" CLA with leather either....
In more bad news, MB have stopped taking orders for hybrid A & B Class with immediate effect and are going to phase both series out completely in 2025. Not enough profit in small cars - they are going to put all the resources into the big Chelsea tractor ranges that start with the GLA because the profit margins are better.
Horrid great things - and a liability in Somerset's lanes.
Is it "Bye Bye" Mercedes?
WIHIH?
A while ago methinks

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Mercedes lost the plot when they went mainstream to make cars to cover the entire market. Back in the day - like BMW there was 3-4 models. Like everything when it comes to money it goes pearbshaped
What has really happened, is Mercedes and all the others, now build cars to appeal to PCP buyers, most of whom could never afford a new Mercedes but feel £400 a month for 3 years is worth it.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My R231 SL500 is fitted with "the nasty sweaty plastic taxi-spec Mercedes man-made Artico substitute", seem ok as a standard fit on a £100k car, I am probably as green as Jeremy Clarkson but the Artico are not, in my opinion, too bad but was surprised leather was not standard.

We had leather seats in our last C Class and for years didn't even realise as they seemed no different to the artico we were used to. Now have an A Class with artico and quite honestly we are happy with them. I'd also rather have air con and other extras in preference to leather seats.
I have a mix of Artico and Dinamica (like Alcantara but different brand) on mine and still happy with it after nearly five years.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Red Nappa ventilated leather in mine, black plastic in the wife's Beemer, the leather adds to the whole sense of occasion. Both work fine, cloth/leather in the defender also works well. Horses for courses.

IMG_0307.jpeg

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom