Head Lights

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
My work involves a lot of driving about, and also the commute backwards and forwards.
Is it just me or do others notice an awful lot of cars with only one headlight ??
Is this because a lot of vehicles these days headlight bulbs are not made easy to change ?, some even requiring the complete front end to be taken apart just to change a bulb, and of course this costs, so are drivers leaving it until MOT time, then they have to have it done. What is more annoying is that some drivers are using main beam to see where they are going to make up for the lack of the light that is out, i seem to get dazzled nearly every day, and of course, on dark roads you think they are a motorcycle !.

I wonder why cars are made like this, for example, daughters boyfriends fiat 500 failed MOT on front lower wishbone joint, he bought one and was quoted £300 to fit, he asked if i would do it, and stupidly i thought "got to be easy" and said yes. due to one bolt, the whole front end has to come off, to access four bolts to remove a part of the front chassis, then you can get at the bolt. Took me about three hours start to finish, so with labour rates at what they are, can understand the cost from a dealer.

I suspect all the replies i get will say motor manufactures make cars like this to deter the home mechanic, but is that really the case ?

Reactions: DSK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've noticed the same, and often they'll use foglights (which are next to completely useless when it comes to driving by at night) to make up for the missing light.
I usually politely point out they have a problem with a flash of main beams.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's the headlights that point to anywhere but the road in front of them .... usually pointed at me! Or laden vans with dipped beam pointing skywards .... if only they could lower them from that little switch inside :rolleyes:

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Fog light w*****s. :(

Some of the newer LED lights have necessitated the use of my main beam to see the kerb as they approach. They may be a good improvement from a driving point of view but awful for other road users.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Light bulbs, any of them, by law and design should be able to be changed by any motorist (perhaps not disabled) with ease for obvious reasons.

Yep, everyone’s going to have the skills, time and resources to roll around and strip down half a car to change a damn bulb and I’m sure the emergencies just love it.

I know some will argue it’s legislation and design but of a light housing can’t be designed with ease of access, it’s deliberate and the latter would be to screw the motorist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Even with a Mini, you have to remove road wheel, remove a cover, contort yourself into a near impossible position, just to replace the bulb.
On Toyota Aygo , you need child size hands, or remove the bumper, then remove the headlight.
On the lump (ML270) its easy, three ten mm bolts, remove headlight. (its because its nearly 20 years old !!!!)

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
A friend was quoted £350 for a front left bulb replacement on an Audi A6 and l replaced it for him. So much stuff had to come out, not a roadside job unless you are a Gynecologist.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I had a 2004 Volvo S40 that took about a minute to remove the headlight.
Pull out a rod, slide the headlight out. As easy as that.
To reinsert just line it all up, slide it back in then reinsert the holding rod. Why can't they all do that?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I had a 2004 Volvo S40 that took about a minute to remove the headlight.
Pull out a rod, slide the headlight out. As easy as that.
To reinsert just line it all up, slide it back in then reinsert the holding rod. Why can't they all do that?

Because that’s very sensible!

Even the Porsche 911 has an easy lamp assembly removal system so no excuse for anything else!

The law should make cars manufacturers responsible for bulb replacements, for the life of the car, regardless of owner, in every way if it’s not easily doable. Let’s see how long they keep designing them like total reprobates.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My old W116's were just that LK, open bonnet and twist off headlight cap all of a couple of minutes :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I don't think it makes much sense to make it difficult for anyone including the dealers it's probably more about making it easier to make.

Engineers who pointed out the problems with maintenance in the future have probably been retired.

Looking at the wire forest that accompanies most modern cars it's all about cheap tech to overcome issues.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Light bulbs, any of them, by law and design should be able to be changed by any motorist (perhaps not disabled) with ease for obvious reasons.

Yep, everyone’s going to have the skills, time and resources to roll around and strip down half a car to change a damn bulb and I’m sure the emergencies just love it.

I know some will argue it’s legislation and design but of a light housing can’t be designed with ease of access, it’s deliberate and the latter would be to screw the motorist.

It is madness. In some countries you need to legally have a spare set of bulbs in the car. Do these people have any frigging clue its impossible to change certain bulbs at the roadside, let alone carry appropriate spares.

Replacing a brake lamp on my w251 took over an hour having to take the entire light out.

My wifes clio needs the bumper taking off to remove the headlamps to change a bulb.

many cars need the wheel removing, liner removed to access headlamps.

and who the hell carries around a stock of various leds as spares.

utter nonse.

That said I am OCD and if I get a message about about a lamp out I change it ASAP - i hate errors on the dash.

My old W124 was great to work on. normal bulbs and bags of space.

as a side many garages just handle bulbs with greasy hands meaning the bulb will blow shortly after

rant over

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Utterly justified , if I find a Tardis I'd happily Foxtrot Oscar off to the 70's , 80's or 90's .

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
There are still some people - seriously - who believe that if they overuse their headlights it will flatten the battery...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The french require (or they used to require) a full set of lamps be kept in the car, and yet french cars are amongst the worst offenders for having impossible to replace headlamps. So you must carry the lamps...but they didn't allow for being able to change them at the side of the road.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The french require (or they used to require) a full set of lamps be kept in the car, and yet french cars are amongst the worst offenders for having impossible to replace headlamps. So you must carry the lamps...but they didn't allow for being able to change them at the side of the road.
I still carry the same set I picked up from Mercedes in 2002 every time I travel to France - almost none will fit the car but I'm still carrying a full set... :cool:

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
My car has LED lights am I able to get spare lamps to change myself?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom