headgasket!!

selectcase

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 CDI
I have had an ongoing problem with my 1996 c180 missing, hesitating when cold - i have replaced the common culprits, coil packs, maf etc and its running really smootly when warm now and i get great enonomy at around 38mpg to 5 litres pottling about I was about to book it in for a session on the star machine however tonight I think the fault may finally be manifesting itself.

The engine was warm but not hot as it had been left for a couple of hours and i removed the rad cap - to my suprise it was pressurised and bubbled a little water - i ran the car and the level rose and a small amount came out of the overflow pipe with the cap off - i let the engine get hot and there were some very,very small gas bubbles - the other tell tell sign is the small oil leak behind the alternator. up to this point in time it has used no water or oil but if the head gasket is starting to go I think this would cause the misfire when cold - bit strange it has not really used much water etc up to this point over the past 1000 odd miles i have done since i bought the car

I think my best plan of action is to pop to my local garage later in the week and perhaps get them to put their gas sniffer in the rad? i will not take the car any long distances as i dont want to overheat it - i could be wrong

If it is the headgasket are there any common pitfalls on these engines, I am a competent diy mechanic and have rebuilt petrol and deisel engines in the past from ford, peugeot and landrover,I have a decent set of tools, spline bits, torque wrences etc etc and I also have the haynes manual - i was planning on getting the headgasket kit from eurocarparts and do i need a set of head bolts, plus will the head need skimming?
#apologies for all the questions but a merc is a bit of a sep up from the past vehicles i have had;)

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
head off!

HI ,you sound like your on the right track, get it sniffed first and then carry on as you suggest!, confidence/ competence +manual = job done, unless something snaps off! but we have all been there, its just engines! get it skimmed just to clean up the face if it looks rough , all the best.rap

Top Bottom