Headlight restoration kit on distronic star

Michael Gow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 350 2003
I have a 2003 r230 and the distronic star plastic is not looking the best, it still works but has a slight oxidisation on it and slightly yellowing

I was wondering if i bought a headlight restoration kit and did the sanding down and polishing would it work, the lens seems to be an abs plastic made out the same stiff as the headlights, but i don't want to ruin it in the name of vanity

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

I can't see how it wouldn't work

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If I were you I would start with car polish first before stepping up to sanding headlight kits ?
Meguiars do something called plastic R or something similar for polishing plastic headlights .

OP
M

Michael Gow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 350 2003
Typical my local halfords just had a fire and is closed grr

DuncanSE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A150 Classic SE 2005 1.5L
I tried to clean up my headlights (on a Honda CRV) using WD40 and the green scourer on the back of a sponge. Didn't really know what I was doing, and the result was a lot of very fine scratches on the headlight making it very foggy. When you poured water over it, it looked okay. But as it dried it stayed very foggy. So with nothing to lose I followed one of the numerous videos on Youtube involving fine grade wet and dry paper followed by Meguiars Ultimate Compound. And I'm pleased to say it worked. The wet/dry paper did seem to make it cleaner but it was still very foggy. But the Meguiars compound was practically like magic. In an instant I could tell that it was going to do it's stuff. So pleased I gave it a go. The headlight looks new again and perfectly clear, no sign at all of any fogging or scratching. But I must admit, I would have been cautious had I not already messed it up to start with. I tried to find the actual video on Youtube so I could post the link, but I'm not sure now which one it was. But the guy used Meguiars Ultimate Compound so that is what I got as well.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I tried to clean up my headlights (on a Honda CRV) using WD40 and the green scourer on the back of a sponge. Didn't really know what I was doing, and the result was a lot of very fine scratches on the headlight making it very foggy. When you poured water over it, it looked okay. But as it dried it stayed very foggy. So with nothing to lose I followed one of the numerous videos on Youtube involving fine grade wet and dry paper followed by Meguiars Ultimate Compound. And I'm pleased to say it worked. The wet/dry paper did seem to make it cleaner but it was still very foggy. But the Meguiars compound was practically like magic. In an instant I could tell that it was going to do it's stuff. So pleased I gave it a go. The headlight looks new again and perfectly clear, no sign at all of any fogging or scratching. But I must admit, I would have been cautious had I not already messed it up to start with. I tried to find the actual video on Youtube so I could post the link, but I'm not sure now which one it was. But the guy used Meguiars Ultimate Compound so that is what I got as well.
All a green scouring pad will do is add scratches (as you’ve found)

OP
M

Michael Gow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 350 2003
I used the meguiars single stage kit, I thought i might as well do the lights as well, the distronic star came up like new :) the lights could do with more work as the uv protection is solid and the kit starts with 1800 grade

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
If you look in history on YouTube you will see all the videos you’ve watched

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom