Headlights

NottsOwner

New Registration
Reaction score
I have a 320CDi, 2001 with Zenon Headlights. I want to take it to France and need to adjust the headlights. Owners handbook says go to dealer for masks. Dealer says change the complete headlight unit. This is impossible unlest there is s headlamp equivalent of KwickFit at the ferry port, both ways. As I am sure that I am not the owner to to meet this problem I would appreciate advice on how to do it. (The tried and tested black insulating tape does not work because the outer glass has no alignment markings). This is a bit like a bad dream, did Mercedes rely miss this issue?

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
total cak.

look under the bonnet at the back of the headlamp unit. should be a cover over the back of it which needs a quater turn to pop off. inside you will see a unit with a yellow warning triangle on it. on the side of that will be a lever of some description. carefull push it down, or up depending on what it is now. this rotates the lighing unit 15degrees, do same on other sie, and remember to do the reverse on the way back again.

you should see it with a torch but they can be a total sod to get to, and you may need some implement to actually move it as you may not reach it by hand. and be careful, apparently they can break.

My dealer showed me and they generally do it for free, if you bought the car there, but as i dont live near any ports this may be why they offer that service.

maybes a french dealer with decent customer service would have done it for you. when you get over there, pop into first dealer you see and ask. then let us know please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We have had this one before, it seams that some cars have an adjusting lever and some do not, as SLinKy says take off the rear cover, if you have got a lever its quite short and it is a long way inside the lamp towards the front and it only moves about 25mm.

Malcolm

Dom320

Reaction score
Nottsowner - any luck with finding the lever?
I have a '51' plate E320 CDI with Xenon's, and have just had a look. I can't find a lever (unless I am not looking hard enough).
By chance I have a set of Halfords headlamp maskers (about £6 from memory), so I opened them to have a look, and they do appear to have a diagram which looks like my lights in the instructions. The diagram does say 'Xenon lamps only'. Basically you lign the masking up with the lens behind the cover.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i had a nosy on a 03plate E 270CDI and the lever looked like a square metal device on the side of the lamp unit with the yellow warning triangle.

got some lovely scratches trying to access the one on the drivers side.

it could be they only fitted them after a certain year. but a dealer must knwo what needs to be done. they cant really expect you to buy new headlamps just for tootling off abroad.

Dom320

Reaction score
I'll have another check with a mirror tomorrow. The passenger side on mine is a bu##er. The Hyd. Res. is about 1" behind the cover!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
we needed a torch to see the lever. it, if i remember right, was on the radiator side of the unit on both lamps. altho i cant be sure.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have to return mine to normal in the morning, if I can take a photo, I will put it up.

malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hope it makes sense hardly any room to get the camara in.

malcolm

Attachments

• mercedes 1608.jpg
    mercedes 1608.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 951

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
damn things are further in than they look. no wonder i have scars.

the e class i looked at, it was nearer the yellow traingle boxy bit. and it had a square hole in the end. but that pic will give people something to look at.

well done.

M

MartinPerry

Xenon headlights adjustment

Hi guys,

After some great pointers from many of you, I have managed to locate the lever on my Xenon headlights (2005 C220 CDI).
After removing the black cover at the rear of the headlight (on the main headlight) look for the yellow warning triangle stuck onto the light unit. I used my wife's compact mirror to look to the left and right of this central light to find the lever. Unfortunately when you feel for the lever you obscure the view with your hand, and it's a tight fit to get your hand in the gap. The lever feels like a metal/plastic square object, and it makes a distinctive click/snap as you push it up (UK) or down (Europe).
From what I understand, if you cannot find a lever at all, the lights may be self leveling and/or you would need to take the car into a MB dealer.

Martin

Hemphill

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI/2005/2.7ltr
Spot on with the description and location. Have just changed from UK to Polish and found the lever without any problems apart from access which is normal. Sod's Law kicked in and blew my parking light on driver's side. Hey Ho!!!!
Thanks again

Top Bottom