Headrest removal on 450 SL

marcphillips

Reaction score
I'm trying to install sheepskin seatcovers on my 1979 450 SL and don't know how to remove the headrest. Any help out there? It looks like you may need to separate the funny little zipper under the headrest. Unfortunately it looks like the zipper can't be rezipped due to no pull tab installed.thx Marc

tom7035

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the layout of your 450 SL, but on my elderly W124 there's a hidden button under the seat backrest rear cover which releases the headrest from the seat frame. You have to feel for it through the cover. Might be similar.

OP
M

marcphillips

Reaction score
Thanks, however I can find no such button on seat. Anyone else with experience on older SL? thx :-?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
It is cunningly camouflaged

If it's anything like a C class, then you have to feel for it. Reach down the backrest, to just below where the "ribbed" section from the front carries over. Broadly in line wth one of the headrest shafts, there ought to be a recessed button, which is the bit you press to get it all the way out, or back in again. To be exact, you'll have to wait for me to and explore mine tomorrow.( it's a bit too dark in my garage, and the bats might get me)

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
bat-less

It would seem the SLs are just like all the other Mercs. Located under the left hand shaft (looking forwards), just below the ribbing, is the concealed button.

OP
M

marcphillips

Reaction score
thx guys

Thanks guys. This was a little hard to interpret and find. It of course was a little insignificant bump under the leather just below ribbed portion of the seat. I was going nutz trying to find this release!

Top Bottom