HELP! Dead Car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It will be on one of those things that you dont notice, unless you listen for it.

Key out will lock immediately, key in will unlock, doesn't need to be turned etc. If it happens again, remove/insert the key and listen for the potentially missing locking sound.

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
thanks Alex, just had to check the car as SWMBO had forgotten something, and yes, put the key in and there's a quick zzzzz, take the key out and the same happens, so hopefully that's the ESL operating, the ESI seems to be working OK so maybe it was just a low battery thing! At least I've learnt that I can close the boot lid over the JoJo reel cable so the car, on the driveway, can be on a charger or conditioner yet locked and secure, something I'd not tried before although it's something I automatically do with "my" car when I put her into her garage!

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
I do hope it's the battery, but on mine - same symptoms that went on for several months - it was the ESL and replacing it was rather expensive as it was locked in the wheels straight ahead position when it failed :(

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That was also my worry - cost of low loader recovery etc even though we have home start on our breakdown cover! Haven't used the car today, and no plans to use her for quite a while, but all was fine yesterday so fingers etc all crossed!!

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, the fun resumes!

Car had not moved for 10 days, so decided it might be prudent to put a conditioner on the battery. Key fob did nothing! Emergency key opened the drivers door, looked for the emergency boot release above the rear number plate, there isn't one! OK, connect battery charger to emergency +ve under bonnet and found a place on the side of the engine for the -ve, switched charger on at normal rather than boost start, alarm went off, all sorts of clicking noises, loads of flashing lights on dash, charger ammeter going daft, boot switch in drivers door did nothing - switch charger off.

Luckily we have home start as well as roadside breakdown cover so now waiting for Britannia Rescue to arrive.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you can start the engine it will probably sort itself out.

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Britannia were excellent, battery was flat as a pancake, eventually got her started, alternator working fine, left the engine run for about 20 minutes and now have the battery conditioner on her as it looks like my charger has cratered - another thing to buy! Wondering if anything to do with the recent reversing camera and front parking sensors could be continuous live and causing the drain, so have emailed comand.co.uk who installed them!

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Heard back from comand.co.uk, they're almost certain their work has nothing to do with the problems I've had in the past 12 days, and are of the opinion the battery is duff - it's just short of 4 months old so looks like a trip to Halfords with the receipt(which I not only kept but also photocopied in case it faded, as till receipts often do!).

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Heard back from comand.co.uk, they're almost certain their work has nothing to do with the problems I've had in the past 12 days, and are of the opinion the battery is duff - it's just short of 4 months old so looks like a trip to Halfords with the receipt(which I not only kept but also photocopied in case it faded, as till receipts often do!).
Someone else said the other day that their Halfords battery was pants , might have been @00slk ?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Someone else said the other day that their Halfords battery was pants , might have been @00slk ?

Could have been Wighty, 2 Halfords batteries I had in the 55 and ended up taking them back for refund.
The 500 has a Halford battery which has been recharged twice, unfortunately that was in the car when we bought it.

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine's a Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee fitted 23/22/2019 so well within the 5 year warranty!! Just have to sort out with management when I'm allowed out to annoy Halfords and do a little essential shopping (smokes and alcohol!!).

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
22 hours on the conditioner and battery is only showing 50% charged according to my tester - which funnily enough is what it showed 12 days ago when this fiasco started - and car would not start then, so I haven't tried. Replacement charger is apparently with Parcelforce Medway, don't know yet if it will be delivered today - and neighbour who I'm sure would lend me his is still at work, must have been on night shift, works at the gas import terminal on the north Kent coast.

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Checked my Toolstation order for the replacement charger I ordered late yesterday afternoon, it's at Parcelforce Medway but I did not see the Saturday £5 delivery charge, just the free next day delivery - which is next working day so I won't see it until Monday. Dug out my old charger this morning - I'd cannibalised the output wires to use it with a small 12v polisher - and got it useable by stealing the leads from the cratered one, had it on the car since about 12.30, showing 6 amps on high rate charge so rest of today should get the battery up to full charge allowing me to take the car to Halfords and get the battery tested by them - and hopefully replaced!

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update - into Halfords this morning, lots of hanging around, battery replaced under warranty - looks like the old battery was faulty as, despite having been on my charger at 6 amps from about 12.30 to 6pm then 2 amps (low rate) from 6pm to 10am the little indicator light on the battery was black with maybe a slight tinge of green rather than fully green.

Bad news is that all Halfords batteries are Yuasa, so could not request a Bosch or other brand. Also I was told that hidden in the fine print of the T&C's of Yuasa battery supply is that you're to put the car on a charger or conditioner if the car is to be left more than a few days, let alone the 10 days mine was unused. I told them in no uncertain terms that in the 8 years I've owned the car, prior to them installing the new battery last November, I'd often left the car unused for over a week and never before had a problem! Having paid £158 in November, if this one fails as well I wonder if I'll be able to claim a full refund and take my business elsewhere!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Update - into Halfords this morning, lots of hanging around, battery replaced under warranty - looks like the old battery was faulty as, despite having been on my charger at 6 amps from about 12.30 to 6pm then 2 amps (low rate) from 6pm to 10am the little indicator light on the battery was black with maybe a slight tinge of green rather than fully green.

Bad news is that all Halfords batteries are Yuasa, so could not request a Bosch or other brand. Also I was told that hidden in the fine print of the T&C's of Yuasa battery supply is that you're to put the car on a charger or conditioner if the car is to be left more than a few days, let alone the 10 days mine was unused. I told them in no uncertain terms that in the 8 years I've owned the car, prior to them installing the new battery last November, I'd often left the car unused for over a week and never before had a problem! Having paid £158 in November, if this one fails as well I wonder if I'll be able to claim a full refund and take my business elsewhere!
I got a large battery for my E320cdi last year for less than that price via MB Grangemouth

OP
Chrishazle

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was not confident of changing the battery myself for 2 reasons - partly in case I fried a SAM or upset some settings, but mainly because it's a rather large and heavy 100AH beast, and I was not sure I could lift it in and out of the car, hence Halfords, £15 to fit.

Top Bottom