Help - Marker pen on Leather

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Hi there,

We accidentally got a small amount of Marker pen on the leather today!!

Have read that isopropynol Alchohol or Suntan lotion might remove - any other ideas??

Thanks

Grant

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Hairspray ! Spray on, it should dissolve the marker ink then wipe with a damp cloth and dry with kitchen towel.

kelbenz

Reaction score
You could also try a baby wet wipe. That worked when my grandson got marker pen on our leather sofa at home

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Thanks guys

Tried the Suncream first, and it's got enough of the mark out I am going to leave it!

I can hardly see the mark now, and I don't want to risk lightening the leather tint.

Cheers for the advice though

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
swarfega

is well good at cleaning leather up generally, the green gel rather than the orange gunk though.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
is well good at cleaning leather up generally, the green gel rather than the orange gunk though.

Hi Myros.

I've tried a proprietary cleaner for leather upholstery (Autoglym) and it does make it bright and clean - but it doesn't last long. Maybe there is a further preparation required to seal it?

What do you advise - or will Swarfega do both jobs?

simon_wall69

Reaction score
A trick used at school is to cover the permanent marker with a washable ink and then rub out, wouldn't risk it on a car's seat though. I assume this works because of the chemical in the washable ink (alcohol perhaps.)

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
alex, I used Swarfega( after finding it on here)

on the mem's 210, orion grey leather. It took me a bit of work with a stiff nailbrush, and keeping it moist but not soaking. It brought it up as clean as a new pin, even in the creases. the only downer was it was a matte finish. A couple of goes with the Autoglym leather treatment had the kind of finish i wanted. I normally swear by the autoglym, but it just wasn't cleaning up the dirt from the seats ( someone else's I hasten to add).
I used a moist cloth to help rub it in, and worked the creases with the nailbrush and swarfega neat.
It's very much a suck it and see process. As long as you start off softly, you probably won't make it any worse. Just be careful in the perforated area of the seats as if you soak them, you are in trouble.

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
Thanks guys

Tried the Suncream first, and it's got enough of the mark out I am going to leave it!

I can hardly see the mark now, and I don't want to risk lightening the leather tint.

Cheers for the advice though

If you've put suncream on anything make sure you then go and wash it with detergent. Otherwise the heat/sun will age the leather at different rates!

My A class had 3 year old's hand prints on the paintwork from where I applied the cream and he lent against the car! They are really (and I mean really really) difficult to remove. I live next door to a prestige valeter/detailer who mostly works on Italian sportcars (and the odd Merc and Aston) and he spent a good half an hour buffing with some super expensive paint treatment to remove a tiny amout "just to see if it worked."

In fact I may post advice to be wary of suncream in the bodywork forum.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom