Help needed on Heater Fan Motor

tamrsoft

Reaction score
Last night while driving home, my heater fan motor stopped, it then proceded to work intermittently for about 15 secs on and then about 2 mins off. Does anyone know how the speed control works on this unit and where it is located, the symptoms were like a control unit component over-heating and then cutting out and then back in agin as the component cooled down. This morning it seemed to work Ok on my 30 min drive apart from a couple of stoppages. Car is a 2001 E220 CDi with the normal two rotary heater controls

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Does sound like the regulator. I have whittered on about this in some detail before so do a search. Anyway, the reg on a W210 is located inside the fan housing in the passenger footwell.

To access, remove the under tray on the front passenger side. You will see a square box going up. At the bottom you will see a rectangular plug with 3 wired going into it. This is the power and control plug for the regulator. Remove the plug and then remove the panel (4 screws or so) and you have the regulator. Its a finned rectangular metal block. From memory, they are around £120 from the dealer.

Word of warning - it could be the fan brushes. Less likely but possible so it may be worth testing the regulator with a meter first.

OP
T

tamrsoft

Reaction score
jberks - many thanks for the quick response. I am assuming (hoping) it is not the fan motor itself since it does seem to go for a while when working. Is it easy to remove the fan unit since it it might be worth servicing or replacing the brushes.

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure it's as straight forward as the 202 to remove the actual fan. It didn't appear so when I was doing it, but I didn't look in any detail as I was only replacing the regulator. It may be though, based on this diagram
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.626&CT=F&cat=66G&SID=83&SGR=045&SGN=01

You'll see 115 is the panel you remove from the passenger footwell and 145 is the regulator.

Also whilst you're there. It's worth checking and possibly replacing the filter (195). remove the access panel 185 by sliding clips 190 out of the way.

A picture saves a thousand words!

Last edited:

Flatflr

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my W202 (1996) when it started going slow and then stopping at times (not good in the middle of winter), took the fan body out and the motor brushes had pretty much worn away to nothing.

Went on an online parts sourcing site and had 3 breakers ring me early the next day, managed to get a complete fan body and regulator for £65 inc P&P with brushes that looked almost new, fitted it and runs file (still need to replace the filter though).

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Heater fan motor brushes

Are the brushes part of the regulator pack (as in the alternator) or can they be renewed separately? They are not quoted on the parts diagram as a separate item.

Jim

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jimsinessex said:
Are the brushes part of the regulator pack (as in the alternator) or can they be renewed separately? They are not quoted on the parts diagram as a separate item.

Jim

As far as I know, MB don't supply brushes, only complete fans. People have had success fitting other brushes so if you remove them and if they are badly worn, I'd take one to an electrical supplier and find something appropriate. But no they are totally unrelated.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom